The Student Room Group

Help please

Hi,
Im starting year 11 and i dont know which grades i need if i want to go into fine art and i was wondering if it is easy to get a job to do with art because that is what i am passionate about. I need help with what i should go into
Original post by Sam_Avery564
Hi,
Im starting year 11 and i dont know which grades i need if i want to go into fine art and i was wondering if it is easy to get a job to do with art because that is what i am passionate about. I need help with what i should go into

Hi @Sam_Avery564

The creative industry is one of the most diverse industries in terms of range of jobs, so it really depends what you are interested in! Reflecting this, there are lots of different courses related to creative arts you can study at university from more career specific courses in animation or fashion marketing to more broad subjects like fine art or art and design. At a university level, fine art is about developing a professional practice and exploring the academic world of contemporary art, however this doesn't mean that everyone studying art wants to be an artist once they graduate (I'm going into my third year of fine art at Lancaster and I am planning on going into teaching, but others go into curation, public arts, art therapy etc.)

If you decide to go down the university route, you will find quite a wide range of entry requirements, depending on the degree and the institution. Generally, however, art courses will be much more interested in looking at a portfolio of your work than what your predicted grades are!

Don't worry too much about university and jobs now, as you still have a few years to decide what you want to do! The most valuable things you can do at this point to strengthen your future applications are looking at and making lots of art :smile: Going to exhibitions (in person if you can or online), looking at artists work on instagram and exploring different materials and mediums are all excellent practices to get into

I hope this helps!
Yasmin (Lancaster University student ambassador)
Reply 2
hi
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @Sam_Avery564
The creative industry is one of the most diverse industries in terms of range of jobs, so it really depends what you are interested in! Reflecting this, there are lots of different courses related to creative arts you can study at university from more career specific courses in animation or fashion marketing to more broad subjects like fine art or art and design. At a university level, fine art is about developing a professional practice and exploring the academic world of contemporary art, however this doesn't mean that everyone studying art wants to be an artist once they graduate (I'm going into my third year of fine art at Lancaster and I am planning on going into teaching, but others go into curation, public arts, art therapy etc.)If you decide to go down the university route, you will find quite a wide range of entry requirements, depending on the degree and the institution. Generally, however, art courses will be much more interested in looking at a portfolio of your work than what your predicted grades are!Don't worry too much about university and jobs now, as you still have a few years to decide what you want to do! The most valuable things you can do at this point to strengthen your future applications are looking at and making lots of art :smile: Going to exhibitions (in person if you can or online), looking at artists work on instagram and exploring different materials and mediums are all excellent practices to get into
I hope this helps!
Yasmin (Lancaster University student

Thank you, this helps alot and tbh i didnt know about some of the things you have mentioned

Thxxxxxx
Hi,

Hi @Sam_Avery564,
Absolutely, follow your passion for sure.
It is easy to get a job in the creative industry if you have a great portfolio, so focus on building that and look for schools and universities that will help you create the best portfolio possible. The majority of jobs in the creative industry will never look for grades, it's only your portfolio that counts.
All the best with Year 11,
Louise (School of Communication Arts 2.0 Student Rep)
Original post by SCA 2.0
Hi @Sam_Avery564,
Absolutely, follow your passion for sure.
It is easy to get a job in the creative industry if you have a great portfolio, so focus on building that and look for schools and universities that will help you create the best portfolio possible. The majority of jobs in the creative industry will never look for grades, it's only your portfolio that counts.
All the best - louise

Thank you
I didint know that they dont look at the grade but i guess that they will look at the work
Thank you
I didint know that they dont look at the grade but i guess that they will look at the work

Yes, they will be looking at the quality of your work. If you have an idea of the career you want, do some research into those positions and get some advice as to what they'll be looking for in your portfolio.

Please feel free to reach out if you need any more help or advice - [email protected]

All the best,
Louise
(School of Communication Arts Student Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending