The Student Room Group

Is post grad pharmacy a way to get into pharmacy?

I want to do Pharmacy after my Biomed degree IF I can't transfer. Do I apply for an undergrad or a postgrad degree? I had assumed that postgrad would be an entry point, like medicine but I read that it isn't.
[ Please correct me ]
If I must do undergrad then I'd have to pay for it myself... T^T

Also, what would happen to my loan if I transfer schools or courses?
Does it also cover the duration of my new course? or just the original number of years of my OG course?
I don't think I've heard of a postgrad pharmacy entry point before (for the UK anyway). You'd have to search around for it, but I'm not sure it exists.

I'm pretty sure undergrad pharmacy is not an exception course eligible for second degree funding though (unlike e.g. nursing or physiotherapy and similar things).

If you change course/uni, what happens with your current SFE funding is a bit complicated...

Basically the calculation is "length of degree + 1 year - number of years in higher education", where "length of degree" is the length (remaining) of the new course. It's very unlikely you will be able to "transfer" into second year or above for a pharmacy degree - you would essentially just be reapplying for first year entry.

What this means is, if you have more than one year on a degree course elsewhere, you will start needing to self fund tuition fees (you still get a maintenance loan) at the new uni for each year you had prior study for. Note also, the self funded years come first, so if you would apply after 2 years in a BMS degree to first year in a 4 year pharmacy degree, you would need to self fund tuition fees for your first year there - you can't "put it off" until final year to save up in the meantime, unfortunately.

Thus ultimately, you should never, ever start a degree you don't intend to finish. It becomes extremely complicated and expensive to the point of preventing you actually getting a degree if you do so in the wrong timeframe. If you want to do pharmacy, and you aren't on a degree yet, you should take however many gap years are needed to get onto your desired course. If you are already on another course, if you've finished first year but not yet started second year, you should withdraw now before starting second year, and then reapply in the coming application cycle.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
I don't think I've heard of a postgrad pharmacy entry point before (for the UK anyway). You'd have to search around for it, but I'm not sure it exists.

I'm pretty sure undergrad pharmacy is not an exception course eligible for second degree funding though (unlike e.g. nursing or physiotherapy and similar things).

If you change course/uni, what happens with your current SFE funding is a bit complicated...

Basically the calculation is "length of degree + 1 year - number of years in higher education", where "length of degree" is the length (remaining) of the new course. It's very unlikely you will be able to "transfer" into second year or above for a pharmacy degree - you would essentially just be reapplying for first year entry.

What this means is, if you have more than one year on a degree course elsewhere, you will start needing to self fund tuition fees (you still get a maintenance loan) at the new uni for each year you had prior study for. Note also, the self funded years come first, so if you would apply after 2 years in a BMS degree to first year in a 4 year pharmacy degree, you would need to self fund tuition fees for your first year there - you can't "put it off" until final year to save up in the meantime, unfortunately.

Thus ultimately, you should never, ever start a degree you don't intend to finish. It becomes extremely complicated and expensive to the point of preventing you actually getting a degree if you do so in the wrong timeframe. If you want to do pharmacy, and you aren't on a degree yet, you should take however many gap years are needed to get onto your desired course. If you are already on another course, if you've finished first year but not yet started second year, you should withdraw now before starting second year, and then reapply in the coming application cycle.

I see... Thanks so much! I'm going into Biomed this September and I don't have the grades for a Pharmacy to reapply. I kind of thought this was my only way in other than taking a year to resit. I see now that a gap year would be 'better' :u

Could I also get your take on deferrals? I spoke with a UCAS advisor and they stated that deferring would provide me with a 'safety net' if I were to attempt a resit for pharm. Which of my options do you consider most beneficial?

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that I am doing a foundation year so how would that affect my ability to transfer?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Xuppe
I see... Thanks so much! I'm going into Biomed this September and I don't have the grades for a Pharmacy to reapply. I kind of thought this was my only way in other than taking a year to resit. I see now that a gap year would be 'better' :u

Could I also get your take on deferrals? I spoke with a UCAS advisor and they stated that deferring would provide me with a 'safety net' if I were to attempt a resit for pharm. Which of my options do you consider most beneficial?

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that I am doing a foundation year so how would that affect my ability to transfer?

Foundation year is same situation financially and practically - you'd still be entering first year of the new course, and you'd still have a year of prior study which may limit you in the future with SFE funding entitlement. Better to take a gap year and resit if needed.

A deferral won't help/make a difference as you can't apply through UCAS again with a deferred offer. So the only way that gives you a "safety net" is if you only plan to apply via clearing if your get the grades you need. There's no guarantee pharmacy will be in clearing anyway so that's a big gamble.

Once again, you shouldn't start a degree you don't want to do, or that you have no intention of finishing. If you want to do pharmacy - take a gap year, resit and do whatever else needed, and reapply!
Reply 4
Foundation year is same situation financially and practically - you'd still be entering first year of the new course, and you'd still have a year of prior study which may limit you in the future with SFE funding entitlement. Better to take a gap year and resit if needed.

A deferral won't help/make a difference as you can't apply through UCAS again with a deferred offer. So the only way that gives you a "safety net" is if you only plan to apply via clearing if your get the grades you need. There's no guarantee pharmacy will be in clearing anyway so that's a big gamble.

Once again, you shouldn't start a degree you don't want to do, or that you have no intention of finishing. If you want to do pharmacy - take a gap year, resit and do whatever else needed, and reapply!

Thanks so much! I haven't considered the risk of pharmacy not being available, although this year there were plenty of them I shouldn't assume the same for next year. Do you have any advice for me if I were to take the gap year?
Original post by Xuppe
Thanks so much! I haven't considered the risk of pharmacy not being available, although this year there were plenty of them I shouldn't assume the same for next year. Do you have any advice for me if I were to take the gap year?

Not really, I presume you'd be retaking some of your exams through your school so I imagine you'll have your hands full preparing for those, at least by late winter/Spring! Might be worth looking for a part-time job though as well just so you can earn a bit of money before going off to uni, always helpful to have some buffer :smile:
Reply 6
Not really, I presume you'd be retaking some of your exams through your school so I imagine you'll have your hands full preparing for those, at least by late winter/Spring! Might be worth looking for a part-time job though as well just so you can earn a bit of money before going off to uni, always helpful to have some buffer :smile:

Thanks, sm for your insight!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending