The Student Room Group

How do you afford to study abroad?

I'm currently an undergraduate student at Sussex. My course has a study abroad year in North America as a mandatory part of its 3rd Year.

The University requires a "financial guarantee" as part of the Study Abroad application process, which means I have to prove that I have access to a certain amount of money.

The amount of money I need to acquire depends on the university, but the vast majority of foreign institutions will need proof of at least $20,000. I don't know how I'm supposed to finance this.

I have a student loan to cover roughly 50% of that, but even if I were to get a full-time job, starting right now, and were to save every penny, I wouldn't even come close to the numbers needed.

My parents won't support me financially, and I don't qualify for any scholarships, grants etc.

I'm lost for options.
Original post by Altrade Cull
I'm currently an undergraduate student at Sussex. My course has a study abroad year in North America as a mandatory part of its 3rd Year.

The University requires a "financial guarantee" as part of the Study Abroad application process, which means I have to prove that I have access to a certain amount of money.

The amount of money I need to acquire depends on the university, but the vast majority of foreign institutions will need proof of at least $20,000. I don't know how I'm supposed to finance this.

I have a student loan to cover roughly 50% of that, but even if I were to get a full-time job, starting right now, and were to save every penny, I wouldn't even come close to the numbers needed.

My parents won't support me financially, and I don't qualify for any scholarships, grants etc.

I'm lost for options.

We’re you not aware of this requirement when you applied for the course??
No, they only sent information out about it today. I transferred from another Study Abroad course at Exeter and there was no requirement like this.
Does it have to be North America? There are lots of places where studying abroad will save you loads of money over studying in the UK.

It's entirely possible that the reason they have enough spaces on this course to take transfer students is that it's only feasible to do it if you are rich, I'm afraid. Is it too late to grovel to Exeter and get back on a course you could afford?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending