The Student Room Group
That's a terrible idea, don't do it.
Please don't jeopardise your health like that, it is not worth it and this is not a way to maintain a healthy weight. If you want to lose weight to benefit your health please talk to a healthcare professional to find a way to do it healthily.
Original post by Anonymous
I've made up my mind that I'm not going to eat for five days in order to lose weight. Any ideas on how to not give in so I can lose the weight?
I've made up my mind that I'm not going to eat for five days in order to lose weight. Any ideas on how to not give in so I can lose the weight?

All you will do is lose water, feel awful and weak, possibly pass out from low blood sugar. It's a really bad idea
Original post by ReadingMum
All you will do is lose water, feel awful and weak, possibly pass out from low blood sugar. It's a really bad idea

I watched a YouTuber not eat for 15 days and he was fine plus a man once went without eating for a year and 17 days and he was fine so I will be too.
I watched a YouTuber not eat for 15 days and he was fine plus a man once went without eating for a year and 17 days and he was fine so I will be too.

that youtuber you are talking about (i'm guessing mr beast) did it under the supervision of medical professionals, and he said he felt awful and stopped early as he wanted to do it for a month. don't risk your health for physical appearance, you are unlikely to lose weight and keep it off. please find some healthy ways to lose weight.
Starving yourself of all food for 5 days is very unhealthy and could start a pattern of crash dieting & bingeing that leads to you gaining weight instead of losing it.
Not eating anything for 5 days is most likely to only make you feel dizzy, faint, hungry, irritable and very tired.
Not a sensible way to go about losing weight.
Probably won't result in much of a visible change to your visible body fat, weight or bmi.

Weight loss is about changing your lifestyle in terms of exercise and diet.
Losing weight requires a person to go into calorie deficit by at least 500 calories a day.
Have you considered trying intermittent fasting?
Or reducing your daily meals to 2, making your portion sizes smaller and drinking more still unflavoured water.
Maybe give up all takaways & pre-packaged snacks and stop consuming all high caffeine/sugary/soda containing drinks.

What is your current weight, bmi and body fat %? :confused:
How much weight do you want to lose?
What type of food do you usually eat?
How much daily exercise do you usually do?

In the past I have undertaken weight loss, and if you want to do it pick a healthy lifestyle and remove energy by a combination of sustainable diet and exercise if you can cut 500 calories a day out of your diet and add 500calories worth of exercise, this will add up to a net of approximately 1kg/week loss.
(edited 1 year ago)

NOT a good idea you'll just get really really hungry and grumpy, you'll struggle to concentrate, probably become really weak and dizzy and faint.

you could end up in hospital, and you could do some serious damage to your health.

please talk to someone, like a GP, who can give you some proper advice and guidance.
you mean fasting? Um.. you will lose weight in a short time but also gain it back easily.

Fasting > muscle lost > tuned down metabolism > easy to get the weight back when you start eat normally

Exercise and diet should be the best way to lose weight.
I wondering if you are talking about fasting and not just not eating. I used to fast for weight loss but it didn't help me. If you want to lose weight try to calorie deficit instead and still drink a good amount of water
try to track your calories instead and eat a balanced diet whilst exercising - it's the best way and you'll be healthy too. your goal of losing weight is fine but your reason and approach seem to be terribly wrong - it seems like you're doing this for physical appearance and to satisfy other when really it should be to be healthy.

not eating will only slow down your metabolism and make losing weight much harder. as other people have said, it does serious damage to your health too.

this is not sensible at all and you clearly haven't thought it through properly.

Just cut down your calorie intake and start resistance training, you'll see the difference when you follow these two steps.
Just starving is no way to weight loss rather it would restrict your body from essential nutrients it requires.

hi please don't do this
even ignoring the short-term effects, if this becomes something you do often you will regret it for the rest of your life. you may end up developing habits that are hard to crack later. please consider doing this the long-term way to preserve your physical and mental health.
As someone who used to do this regularly, don’t do it. It’s addictive and makes you feel awful. Chances are you can go one of two ways: need food so bad you binge and gain weight or develop habits potentially leading to an eating disorder. 15 years later, I’m in the middle of a relapse. It’s not worth it.

If you need to lose weight, and that’s if you’re overweight or obese, do it slowly and in a healthy way (1-2lb a week)

Latest