The Student Room Group

How many hours of lesson did it takes for you to learn to drive?

How many hours of the lesson did it take for you to learn to drive and get a driving license?
Less than 15 for me. It was around 11 or 12.
hit 25 last month and gave up
Original post by CelaenSardothien
How many hours of the lesson did it take for you to learn to drive and get a driving license?

intensive driving course is what I took no idea how many hours it is. But I prefer that as you just learn over 2 weeks and then take your test. Better than dragging it out over weeks/months.
Original post by gtty123

Wow! That amazing. Was that including self-practice with friends/family? And including the day you received a car licence? (Just trying to work out the feasibility of learning to drive using the shortest amount of time possible to make a 50 mins -1 hour journey safely)? I am having 2 hours lesson each week and getting my fourth lesson the coming week now.
Does any know the wait time for a practical driving test and theory test at the moment?

The guidance given to us by a driving instructor (family friend) was that you should look to get around 40 hours behind the wheel. This can be a combination of lessons and practice in a parent's (or own) car.
I took an intensive course of 36 hours ( 35 hours of just lessons, 1 hour for the test) over 3 weeks, although I'd had maybe 10 hours of lessons a couple of years before, but wouldn't count those because I wasn't committed or ready to learn.
I booked the intensive course in January 6 months from when I planned on starting them (June 2022) and still had to book a test across the country to then be able to get a local cancellation. I'm afraid I have no clue exactly what it is now, but I expect it's probably a similar lag.
Wow! That amazing. Was that including self-practice with friends/family? And including the day you received a car licence? (Just trying to work out the feasibility of learning to drive using the shortest amount of time possible to make a 50 mins -1 hour journey safely)? I am having 2 hours lesson each week and getting my fourth lesson the coming week now.

Tbh, I never drove the car unless I was in a lesson. Why? Because learning how to manoeuvre my father's longer car, whilst learning in a Hatchback, did not make sense lol.

But I was an exception to this - it usually takes people around 25 - 40 lessons to actually 'get' driving.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by gtty123

11 or 12 hours seems incredibly low, especially if you only drove during lessons.
My dad, who used to be a driving instructor, says around 40 is average.
Original post by Jpw1097
11 or 12 hours seems incredibly low, especially if you only drove during lessons.

Yeah, I was a quick learner.
Original post by gtty123
Yeah, I was a quick learner.

Even for a quick learner, 11/12 hours doesn’t seem enough to be competent.
Original post by Jpw1097
Even for a quick learner, 11/12 hours doesn’t seem enough to be competent.

I passed with no minor/serious faults and have comfortably driven for a while - I don't need that brilliant insight of yours lol.
Far too many. :rofl: I was very nervous and it took me a long time to get to feel confident about the gears in particular and also parking and pulling out. I gradually got a bit more confident and passed around lesson 60 or something ridiculous. :ashamed:
Original post by gtty123
I passed with no minor/serious faults and have comfortably driven for a while - I don't need that brilliant insight of yours lol.

I believe you. It just doesn't seem possible to go from having never driven a car to being capable of dealing with any situation on the road.
Original post by Jpw1097
I believe you. It just doesn't seem possible to go from having never driven a car to being capable of dealing with any situation on the road.

Tbf, I do understand it sounds ridiculous, but that is all I did. Most people on lessons 1 - 3 would still be learning how to set off or park and I was already on major roundabouts. It just 'clicked' for me, plus I do believe it helped that I watched POV videos on what I could expect and applied them where necessary.
I've had 60 or more not pasted today so sad as I did better the first time I got 15 fault 2 series I was shocked don't no what's going on not happy

in and around 36 i think? not including driving between lessons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending