The Student Room Group

How to revise in uni

I’ve just started uni. Any tips on revising for science based subjects?

For a level and gcse I just wrote the notes and slides out again and tried to answer Qs on them. I never really got round to the questions as I spent soo much time doing the notes.
I know this method won’t work for uni so here’s what I had in mind: (tips and past experiences would really help)

My plan is to go over and fill in on areas I am unsure about on the lecture slides (I’ll make my notes electronically), then I’ll try make questions for that info. Some time later I’ll go back and try make a mindmap on what I remember.
Original post by Yhyh2323
I’ve just started uni. Any tips on revising for science based subjects?

For a level and gcse I just wrote the notes and slides out again and tried to answer Qs on them. I never really got round to the questions as I spent soo much time doing the notes.
I know this method won’t work for uni so here’s what I had in mind: (tips and past experiences would really help)

My plan is to go over and fill in on areas I am unsure about on the lecture slides (I’ll make my notes electronically), then I’ll try make questions for that info. Some time later I’ll go back and try make a mindmap on what I remember.

Notes are a useful start, but the key is do do every problem sheet and past paper you can get hold of. That how you really learn how to apply the material.
That is a good idea. Also, finding a study buddy or making a study group is always useful- you can discuss things, teach/help each other and test each other on things. All my med friends use this app called anki for memorisation too which is a software for making flashcards- I started using it and it's really good. You can make fill in the blank style flashcards and flashcards of diagrams with the labels covered up really easily. Another thing is to make sure you understand all the content- ask for help if you don't instead of waiting to figure it out when the exam comes.

Good luck!! :smile:
HI! If you find Anki helpful, I'd recommend trying out the Jamworks app! The Jam Quiz feature has a flashcard-style function to it and automatically creates the questions for you based on the content from your highlighted clips! You can use the Jamworks app during your lectures to make notes and then it's so much quicker to rewatch the highlights as opposed to the full lecture recording. Good luck!

Original post by kaorimiyazono
That is a good idea. Also, finding a study buddy or making a study group is always useful- you can discuss things, teach/help each other and test each other on things. All my med friends use this app called anki for memorisation too which is a software for making flashcards- I started using it and it's really good. You can make fill in the blank style flashcards and flashcards of diagrams with the labels covered up really easily. Another thing is to make sure you understand all the content- ask for help if you don't instead of waiting to figure it out when the exam comes.

Good luck!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending