The Student Room Group
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website

How are you settling in?

Hello all!

It has been great to see everyone starting at YSJ this year. Everything seems so normal again!

I wanted to pop a post on with space to chat with me or fellow students about how you are getting on. Do you want to find some like minded people or maybe just recommend some tips that you've got so far.

By this point in my first year, I was getting the hang of it so here are some of my tips. I've tried to think of some smaller things that often get overlooked!

> Buy some fresh fruit or vegetables
I was exhausted after Fresher's week and it all started to feel very real! I found it helped to include apples in my weekly shop and make sure I was getting some fresh produce in my diet. I was shocked by how much better it made me feel. I also started having a vitamin c tablet a day which gave me a boost. It is all too easy to miss what your body needs when you start cooking for yourself!

> Go to shops like Aldi or Lidl
These shops are cheap and cheerful. I could get my weekly shop for under £20 which left me with more spending money.
It also helps if you pre plan your meals for the week. It only takes five minutes but means you can use ingredients across the week rather than having to buy lots of things for each meal.
For example, I would often have tacos and fajitas in the same week as they are easy to make but I could get a pepper, chicken, onions and salsa and share it over both meals.

> Check in on people
Everyone is starting to feel a little tired and may be having some homesickness now. Check in on your new friends and people on your course. It helps to make friends and improve relationships. I found myself going round for a cuppa in my friend's flat for a regular catch up. This actually got me out of the flat on quiet evenings and helped us become close.

> Facetime or visit home
I was so worried that calling home (or travelling back for the weekend if you are close enough) would make me feel worse but it didn't. I found reconnecting and hearing about what was going on at home actually cheered me up. You may be a little sad when you return to university the first couple of times but you soon find yourself adjusting and being in need of a break once in a while.

So feel free to let me know how you are getting on!
Remember that the university has a great well being team that you can reach out to if you feel alone or upset in any way.

Lydia :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending