The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough University Undergraduate Accommodation 2023 - FAQs

Scroll to see replies

Hello my daughter has a room booked just wondering when the bond is paid? Is this on arrival as we haven’t seen anything in the communication about this.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
My son was allocated a place in halls on Friday in Rutherford Hall, a standard, small kitchen room, which he accepted. The room met 2 of his preferences, village and catered and we are pleased he has a place on campus as he was an insurance entrant.

From research, it seems that small kitchens rooms are in Block 5, which lists the rooms as small and medium and although the room description includes the kitchen size, which is small, it seems that block also has the highest ratio of students (12-14) to share that small kitchen, which seems counter intuitive.

Does anyone know how small the bedrooms can be in block 5 and how small are the kitchens are in block 5, i.e. does it have a fridge and freezer space and storage cupboards for 12-14?

There is very little online about Rutherford.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know if it is clear, but Loughborough treated insurance place students less than clearing students in regards to accommodation. Obviously firm students that follow the rules/deadlines are guaranteed a room in halls. However Loughborough then guarantees a place in hall for clearing students, but not for insurance students.

This seems unfair, with no obvious reason as to why are insurance students treated less than clearing except for a marketing reason. For future applicants it maybe beneficial to not use your insurance place up on Loughborough and just use clearing. My daughter firmed Bath, but really liked Loughborough and Exeter. As Exeter was the same offer as Bath and Loughborough was one grade lower, she firmed Bath and selected Loughborough as the insurance as the rational decision. In fact it might of been better to firm Bath, select Exeter as insurance and rely on clearing for Loughborough.

As it was she missed Bath by 1 grade and was offered Loughborough as her insurance, however because the missed grade was in her best subject, we wasted a lot of time on the morning of the results investigating a remark instead of considering her options. Exeter did have her course in clearing, and she may have received an offer from Exeter as she was really close to the offer requirement.

If that hadn't happened, then her course was in clearing for Loughborough and she had met their per-clearing course requirements so could have still gone to Loughborough and would also be guaranteed accommodation in halls as she would be coming via clearing.

Incidently Loughborough are not the only university to guarantee accomodation to clearing students, I know at least Uni of Reading also guarantees accommodation to those coming via clearing, so it may be a startegy that would work for other applicants, aim very high on firm and insurance and get guaranteed accommodation via clearing if not.

Hi there,

Thank you for your message and I’m sorry to hear this. I have made the Accommodation Centre aware of your post. We absolutely understand your concerns and have looked into your message. Following looking at your message, I would recommend contacting the Accommodation Centre by phoning +44 (0)1509 274488 at your earliest convenience to discuss your options. That will be the best way to help you and come up with a plan to support you. All students who have any concerns about accommodation are welcome to do this and we will support you as much as we can with your accommodation queries and requests. Again, I’m sorry about this, but we are here to help.

- Lindsay
Original post by Smellymelly3581
Hello my daughter has a room booked just wondering when the bond is paid? Is this on arrival as we haven’t seen anything in the communication about this.

Hi @Smellymelly3581,

Great to hear from you. I don't want to give you any incorrect information, so I would recommend using the contact options at the bottom of our Accommodation Centre website to get more info.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions about life at Loughborough, let us know!

- Lindsay
My son was allocated a place in halls on Friday in Rutherford Hall, a standard, small kitchen room, which he accepted. The room met 2 of his preferences, village and catered and we are pleased he has a place on campus as he was an insurance entrant.

From research, it seems that small kitchens rooms are in Block 5, which lists the rooms as small and medium and although the room description includes the kitchen size, which is small, it seems that block also has the highest ratio of students (12-14) to share that small kitchen, which seems counter intuitive.

Does anyone know how small the bedrooms can be in block 5 and how small are the kitchens are in block 5, i.e. does it have a fridge and freezer space and storage cupboards for 12-14?

Hi there,

Thanks for your message. I would recommend visiting the Rutherford Hall webpage here and maybe taking a look at the contact options under the 'Hall contacts' tab for this question. They should be able to give you more specific information.

Hope this helps!

- Lindsay

We emailed the hall directly (not the university accommodation office) about the room sizes and they were helpful, the rooms are all broadly the same size, but the layout may vary.
Hi, anyone in need of a room in William Morris for the upcoming year? It’s shared bathroom, close to Econ department and students union. Please dm me if interested.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending