The Student Room Group

A levels vs Uni

Heyy,
What’s your opinion?
Which is hardest A levels or uni?
Ik at uni the content is more in-depth but there’s only one subject (most of the time) and is it as fast paced?
I’m currently in year 13 and would appreciate to know all your opinions?
Thanks all in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by starrynight01
Heyy,
What’s your opinion?
Ik at uni the content is more in-depth but there’s only one subject (most of the time) and is it as fast paced?

From my experience at uni and having to do A Levels for the second time ('fun'), I would say uni is harder.

Whilst I would say there's a lot to do at uni, it's not necessarily as intensive as A Levels because a lot of the material is spread out. In A Levels, you're more or less trying to cram a lot in very little time, as well as needing to practice a lot on top. At uni, this isn't so much, unless you're doing a master's degree then it's a lot more intensive than A Levels.

My degrees were in joint subjects, so it's definitely not 'only one subject (most of the time)'. If you're going to do a Natural Science degree, then it's defnitnitely not 'only one subject (most of the time)'.

People who went through the whole 9 yards all the way up to PhD would still say A Levels were the hardest time of their lives. It doesn't mean uni is easier, it's just more intense.
Original post by MindMax2000
From my experience at uni and having to do A Levels for the second time ('fun'), I would say uni is harder.

Whilst I would say there's a lot to do at uni, it's not necessarily as intensive as A Levels because a lot of the material is spread out. In A Levels, you're more or less trying to cram a lot in very little time, as well as needing to practice a lot on top. At uni, this isn't so much, unless you're doing a master's degree then it's a lot more intensive than A Levels.

My degrees were in joint subjects, so it's definitely not 'only one subject (most of the time)'. If you're going to do a Natural Science degree, then it's defnitnitely not 'only one subject (most of the time)'.

People who went through the whole 9 yards all the way up to PhD would still say A Levels were the hardest time of their lives. It doesn't mean uni is easier, it's just more intense.

Ahh I see thank you! Would you say you do more practice questions at a levels then? Like is uni more application based or just knowledge based? Sorry I’m asking so many questions 😅
Ahh I see thank you! Would you say you do more practice questions at a levels then? Like is uni more application based or just knowledge based? Sorry I’m asking so many questions 😅

It's fine.

I would actually say A Levels is more application based and you get further by doing practice questions at A Level unless it's a mathematical degree or module.

At university it's more research oriented, so most of the material you learn would be focusing on theory, discussion and criticism of theory, and comparing it with research results (at least for social sciences, sciences, and in business school). There isn't so much of application of knowledge as much as debating on the foundations of the concepts that you learn i.e. it all becomes more abstract.

The knowledge that you do learn are usually more focused on techniques and concepts, because university is more or less training you to go into research, not a job. This is particularly crucial if you want to understand how to orient your studies at university and get the high marks.

Once you have got the foundations of the subject knuckled down in your first and second year, you're then essentially looking into theoretical debates for your third year and master's.

One of the things you will quickly notice is that you won't have all the answers just by reading your textbooks. You need to look at journal articles and conduct further research (a research institution encouraging more research and getting more funding for further research, go figure).

The only situation where I can see you only focusing on application to an extent would be in mathematical modules and degrees. In those modules, unless someone corrects me, the material is usually already 'proven' and there isn't really that much room for debate (if you have studied mathematical proofs at A Level Maths and/or Further Maths, you would know what I mean). So all you would need to do is practice your knowledge and refine your techniques through practice questions.
Moved to educational debate for now
What a levels are you doing?
It's fine.

I would actually say A Levels is more application based and you get further by doing practice questions at A Level unless it's a mathematical degree or module.

At university it's more research oriented, so most of the material you learn would be focusing on theory, discussion and criticism of theory, and comparing it with research results (at least for social sciences, sciences, and in business school). There isn't so much of application of knowledge as much as debating on the foundations of the concepts that you learn i.e. it all becomes more abstract.

The knowledge that you do learn are usually more focused on techniques and concepts, because university is more or less training you to go into research, not a job. This is particularly crucial if you want to understand how to orient your studies at university and get the high marks.

Once you have got the foundations of the subject knuckled down in your first and second year, you're then essentially looking into theoretical debates for your third year and master's.

One of the things you will quickly notice is that you won't have all the answers just by reading your textbooks. You need to look at journal articles and conduct further research (a research institution encouraging more research and getting more funding for further research, go figure).

The only situation where I can see you only focusing on application to an extent would be in mathematical modules and degrees. In those modules, unless someone corrects me, the material is usually already 'proven' and there isn't really that much room for debate (if you have studied mathematical proofs at A Level Maths and/or Further Maths, you would know what I mean). So all you would need to do is practice your knowledge and refine your techniques through practice questions.

Ahh I see thank so much for taking the time to explain!
Original post by Huzam001
What a levels are you doing?

I currently do biology chemistry and philosophy

Are you thinking of going into biosciences or medicine?

Nice, I’m doing bio, chem and history.
Are you thinking of going into biosciences or medicine?

I want to do chemistry or biochemistry or natural sciences. (I’ve applied for natural sciences and chemistry though)
Nice, I’m doing bio, chem and history.

Ah cool what do you want to do at uni? (If you’re going)
Ah cool what do you want to do at uni? (If you’re going)

Med hopefully :biggrin:
how about you?
Oh wait I just saw your earlier answer never mind lol
Med hopefully :biggrin:
how about you?

Which unis did you apply to?
I am in my final year and I am on track for a 2:1. I have put more effort into my GCSEs than my current university degree, so yeah, A - Levels are ‘harder’, at least in my case.

Of course this entirely depends on the subject studied and where you are studying. If I put more effort in and tried to get a 1st, the answer would have also been different.
Which unis did you apply to?

I applied for Queen Mary’s, Nottingham, St. George’s and Kent and Medway!

What about you?

What about you?

I applied to Cambridge, Queen Mary London, UCL, KCL, and UEA. Have you heard from any yet?

What about you?

Hey,

I am a current 4th year student at the uni of Nottingham and have just completed my undergraduate degree in natural sciences.
I really enjoyed the degree and the uni itself - I have just started my masters here.

If you have any questions about the degree or uni itself then just let me know,
Emily :smile:
Heyy,
What’s your opinion?

I think it depends on your major. I'm doing Artificial Intelligence (which is basically CS for the first two years and more AI-specific courses for the next two years) and even though as the other user said, it IS more intense, but it's different. I wouldn't say more or less difficult, just different. A level for me at least was super intense because I decided to do math suddenly in A2 (I did international A Level), so you can imagine haha.. So I've been finding uni a lot more pleasent

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending