The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Uni of Sheffield biosciences

Hi,
This is a group for anyone who has applied to do any sort of bioscience at Sheffield uni (microbiology, biology, biochemistry etc.) to meet some potential coursemates before the year starts so that it will be easier in September
I've taken a gap year and will be doing biochemistry and genetics in September
Reply 1
Original post by Jess_Lomas
Hi,
This is a group for anyone who has applied to do any sort of bioscience at Sheffield uni (microbiology, biology, biochemistry etc.) to meet some potential coursemates before the year starts so that it will be easier in September
I've taken a gap year and will be doing biochemistry and genetics in September

we've talked before but I want to be part of this thread! :smile: I'm doing molecular bio :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
I've applied for MBiolSci Biology with a placement year, but I'm not sure if I will go to Sheffield yet.
I’ve applied for BSc molecular biology with placement year, Sheffield is my top choice at the moment!

Update: I got an offer!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by hash8190
I’ve applied for BSc molecular biology with placement year, Sheffield is my top choice at the moment!

Nice,
hope you get an offer
Hi! I've applied for MBiolSci in biomed with placement year! :smile:
Original post by evap543
I've applied for MBiolSci Biology with a placement year, but I'm not sure if I will go to Sheffield yet.

hi ive applied for MBiolSci biology too!! not with placement but still
Hi!

Current 1st year student doing Biochem here, hope you guys get offers!
Original post by ApplePiePanda
Hi!

Current 1st year student doing Biochem here, hope you guys get offers!

Thanks,
Would be doing it but took a gap year in August, what is the most unexpected part of the the course and if you don't mid asking how many contact hours a day and week
Original post by Jess_Lomas
Thanks,
Would be doing it but took a gap year in August, what is the most unexpected part of the the course and if you don't mid asking how many contact hours a day and week

The amount of content took me by surprise for sure, and the amount of work you'll need to do outside of lessons too. And also the amount of credits you can do. In my Biochem course I could only choose 1x20 credit module(which lasts for 12 weeks) or 2x 10 credit modules ( 1 being 6 weeks long). Which kinda sucked since some of the other modules sounded quite interesting

I believe the Biologists get a lot more free reign in their chosen modules as I think they get 100 credits worth to work with. Side note, if you are doing Biology, I recommend you take the Molecular and Cell Biology module (assuming that they'll have the same structure for modules next year) so you'll have more choice for your 2nd year modules

And a bioscience friend of mine was taken by surprised about the amount of lab work/ structure of lab sessions since they're 3 hour blocks (though the amount of sessions you have a week depends on your course and chosen modules) though you can leave early if you get everything done.

I'm not really sure about contact hours, so I can't really say, but lecturers are usually up for answering your questions when they can.
Moderation reminder:

For your own safety and that of others, please do not post or request links to off site chat groups.

Please keep all posts within our Community Guidelines

If you have any questions please come along to the Ask the Community staff forum and we would be happy to help 😊

Thanks,
Wilykit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending