The Student Room Group
Student in halls, Buckinghamshire New University
Buckinghamshire New University
High Wycombe

Is Buckinghamshire new university a good option for me if I don't have a license?

Hello,

I'm in my final year of A-levels and I want to become a paramedic. I have only just started my driving lessons and my driving instructor said that I may not be able to complete my test until after October next year due to the covid backlog.

I've seen a lot of universities that require you to do work placements. I went through the paramedic science tab on Buckinghamshire new university and in a section it said "... students are encouraged to take part in work placements..."

I looked through again it never said anything about work placements are required so I'm looking for advice on whether Buckinghamshire new university would be the best choice for me.

Although I may not be able to take my driving lesson until October I won't be able to have a car yet as I still won't have enough until the middle of the first year for a car.
I would suggest checking carefully that the course is fully accredited and allows you to register with the appropriate governing body upon graduation.

Provided it is, check with the uni to see if you need the license before you start placements or not. It's quite possible you would not be driving during the placements but observing the qualified paramedics taking you on placement anyway, but best to be sure.

Worst case scenario, if they don't require it as a condition of admission but it may affect your placement experiences, apply for deferred entry and get your driving license sorted in a gap year - and if you've gotten a deferred entry offer you also then don't need to worry about applying again or anything as your place is already reserved for you :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Student in halls, Buckinghamshire New University
Buckinghamshire New University
High Wycombe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending