The Student Room Group

What university can I pick based on my predicted grades and GCSEs?

I did badly in y12 end of year tests and got predicted BBB, but I managed to get predicted a cheeky A*A*A in y13 mocks. What universities am I able to apply to with these? I'm asking because although they're good, I've only started to actually put effort in school the past 7-8 months, and my GCSEs aren't as good as my predicteds. one 8 in math, 77 in english lang and lit, 66 in combined science, 5 in computer science, 4 in art, 5 in latin, 6 in history, 6 in french. Thanks in advance gang
Most unis and courses care little if anything about GCSE grades provided you have passes in English and maths.

Generally GCSEs are only a major consideration for Oxford (varies between courses somewhat), LSE (varies between courses a lot), and some medical schools (e.g. Cardiff - but plenty of others don't score GCSEs at all so effectively don't consider them; this likely also applies for dentistry/vet med but those courses don't get asked about as much so I'm not as familiar with them!). Many unis will consider them but holistically and in context and your A-level predictions and other aspects of the application are more likely to outweigh GCSE performance (e.g. Cambridge), or just required e.g. 5 A*-C grades including English and Maths or similar.

With A*A*A predicted, assuming you are taking all necessary subjects for what you want to apply to, you could reasonably apply just about anywhere, with only potential caveats of some exceptions noted above. It's hard to give more specific advice without knowing what you're applying to.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Most unis and courses care little if anything about GCSE grades provided you have passes in English and maths.

Generally GCSEs are only a major consideration for Oxford (varies between courses somewhat), LSE (varies between courses a lot), and some medical schools (e.g. Cardiff - but plenty of others don't score GCSEs at all so effectively don't consider them; this likely also applies for dentistry/vet med but those courses don't get asked about as much so I'm not as familiar with them!). Many unis will consider them but holistically and in context and your A-level predictions and other aspects of the application are more likely to outweigh GCSE performance (e.g. Cambridge), or just required e.g. 5 A*-C grades including English and Maths or similar.

With A*A*A predicted, assuming you are taking all necessary subjects for what you want to apply to, you could reasonably apply just about anywhere, with only potential caveats of some exceptions noted above. It's hard to give more specific advice without knowing what you're applying to.

Thanks for this man, seriously. I don't really know my choices right now because I just got my new predicted grades today, so I've just been looking at unis. Earlier, I was looking at UCL for aspirational. What are my chances with UCL with my GCSEs?
Original post by rodern123
Thanks for this man, seriously. I don't really know my choices right now because I just got my new predicted grades today, so I've just been looking at unis. Earlier, I was looking at UCL for aspirational. What are my chances with UCL with my GCSEs?

Fine, if you meet the A-level requirements. I don't even think UCL routinely considers GCSEs except English and maths.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Fine, if you meet the A-level requirements. I don't even think UCL routinely considers GCSEs except English and maths.

Alright. Thanks for your help and thanks for helping others like me. Appreciate you
Original post by rodern123
Alright. Thanks for your help and thanks for helping others like me. Appreciate you

Glad to help :smile:

I think schools tend to put way more emphasis on GCSEs than they actually hold in reality so this tends to come up a lot :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending