The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford MPP 23/24 Applicants

Hey guys!

Just wanted to create a thread for all the applicants of Oxford MPP 23/24.

How is everyone else feeling regarding their applications?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by PolicyPublic
Hey guys!

I applied.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Alex52
I applied.

Amazing! All the best to you 🙂.

What’s your profile like if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve only got 2 years of experience in an executive leadership role so I think that may work out as a negative for me, even though there are other areas in my profile which I believe can cover for it.
Reply 3
Amazing! All the best to you 🙂.

What’s your profile like if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve only got 2 years of experience in an executive leadership role so I think that may work out as a negative for me, even though there are other areas in my profile which I believe can cover for it.

Thank you! All the best to you too. I have more than 4 years of experience. I don't think your experience will work out negatively. Which country do you belong to? Did you apply for any scholarships?
Thanks for creating the thread, I only have a couple of years of experience as well but i don't know if i can make up for the lack of experience. Please could you let me know what you mean by other areas that can cover it? FYI I'm a UK applicant
Original post by Alex52
Thank you! All the best to you too. I have more than 4 years of experience. I don't think your experience will work out negatively. Which country do you belong to? Did you apply for any scholarships?

Thanks Alex.

I’ve applied as an international student from Pakistan. Does that make any difference btw? I didn’t apply for any scholarship unfortunately.
Original post by shuab1999
Thanks for creating the thread, I only have a couple of years of experience as well but i don't know if i can make up for the lack of experience. Please could you let me know what you mean by other areas that can cover it? FYI I'm a UK applicant

All the best to you.

Of course. So I meant that I had other extra curricular awards and certificates to cover it off. For example, student of the year, a prestigious award of my University for social work, 4 online micro-credentials on public policy, certified carbon literacy trainer etc. I’ve got approximately 20 25 of those as I was a very active student. My two years of work experience is also of as being the Students’ Union President of my University. This may or may not cover my low work experience given that I kind of just got out of University. But then again there’s some really phenomenal candidates applying for the MPP at Oxford.

PS were you able to showcase something that may stand you out from others? Extra curricular, work achievements or anything? They look at the applications holistically so you may be the right person for the course.
(edited 1 year ago)
I had some time to review the profiles of the current MPP candidates and there are all quite impressive! In some way, kinda makes me less confident in gaining admission into the BSG MPP program. I am curious to hear about y'all profiles. Here is a summary of mine:

Undergraduate: Low GPA
Postgraduate: Distinction at a Top UK Institution (wanted to make up for my low undergraduate GPA)
Background: Engineering with 4+ years of work experience (Private Sector)

Little to no experience in Public Policy and so trying to use the MPP to pivot into the Public Sector.
Reply 8
Original post by charlie360
I had some time to review the profiles of the current MPP candidates and there are all quite impressive! In some way, kinda makes me less confident in gaining admission into the BSG MPP program. I am curious to hear about y'all profiles. Here is a summary of mine:

Undergraduate: Low GPA
Postgraduate: Distinction at a Top UK Institution (wanted to make up for my low undergraduate GPA)
Background: Engineering with 4+ years of work experience (Private Sector)

Little to no experience in Public Policy and so trying to use the MPP to pivot into the Public Sector.

I think BSG also gives chances to low GPA/ less experienced students. I also made a little bit research on the students' profiles. It seems, BSG also gives opportunity who demonstrates passion for public services though s/he might not have relevant experiences or a high GPA. Let us be optimistic. Did you apply public policy course to any other universities? I applied to Cambridge and got rejection.
Original post by Alex52
I think BSG also gives chances to low GPA/ less experienced students. I also made a little bit research on the students' profiles. It seems, BSG also gives opportunity who demonstrates passion for public services though s/he might not have relevant experiences or a high GPA. Let us be optimistic. Did you apply public policy course to any other universities? I applied to Cambridge and got rejection.

Really? I was actually applying for Cambridge’s MPhill as well. Applications are open till February, have they been processing on a rolling basis?
Reply 10
Really? I was actually applying for Cambridge’s MPhill as well. Applications are open till February, have they been processing on a rolling basis?

Unfortunately, I do not have much idea about Cambridge. I applied to the scholarship deadline and got my application feedback a few days back.
Original post by Alex52
Unfortunately, I do not have much idea about Cambridge. I applied to the scholarship deadline and got my application feedback a few days back.

I also applied to Cambridge but missed the scholarship deadline. For some reason, I thought it was going to be the same date as the previous year but they moved it much earlier this year and so hoping to outsource external funding if I am accepted. I applied two weeks ago and still no changes. I'm a bit skeptic about Cambridge as the decisions are made on a rolling basis and the later one applies, the lesser the chances of admission.
Reply 12
Original post by charlie360
I also applied to Cambridge but missed the scholarship deadline. For some reason, I thought it was going to be the same date as the previous year but they moved it much earlier this year and so hoping to outsource external funding if I am accepted. I applied two weeks ago and still no changes. I'm a bit skeptic about Cambridge as the decisions are made on a rolling basis and the later one applies, the lesser the chances of admission.

All the best with your Cambridge application. You can also think about the MPP course at LSE/ UCL.
Hey guys!

I applied as well. Just enduring this excruciating wait until decisions (good or bad) are finally released in March haha. I have some consolation in the meantime as I got a Cambridge MPP offer last week. Best of luck to you all!
Original post by AvatarTLA
I applied as well. Just enduring this excruciating wait until decisions (good or bad) are finally released in March haha. I have some consolation in the meantime as I got a Cambridge MPP offer last week. Best of luck to you all!

Wow amazing! Congratulations on the offer from Cambridge.

Do you mind sharing a bit of your profile? Just keen on knowing the kind of applicants that get in.
Hey! Current Oxford MPP student here going through Hilary term. I remember being the person to create the Oxford MPP 2022/23 thread on TSR last year, so I completely empathise with how you all are feeling. I, too, felt the intimidation that came with browsing through previous year student profiles on BSG.

There was a question somewhere above about coming from Pakistan and whether that would make a difference. If you mean whether you'd be at a disadvantage, then you shouldn't worry - BSG does look for diversity in a variety of ways and we have 52 nationalities in our cohort this year.

If you guys have any other MPP-specific or general Oxford questions, feel free to post them - and I'll do my best to get back to you. Bear in mind though that I don't work for Admissions, so won't be assessing your odds of getting an offer/wait list/rejection.
Reply 16
Original post by AvatarTLA

Congratulations! I got rejected by Cambridge Public Policy.
Reply 17
Original post by journeyaway
Hey! Current Oxford MPP student here going through Hilary term. I remember being the person to create the Oxford MPP 2022/23 thread on TSR last year, so I completely empathise with how you all are feeling. I, too, felt the intimidation that came with browsing through previous year student profiles on BSG.

There was a question somewhere above about coming from Pakistan and whether that would make a difference. If you mean whether you'd be at a disadvantage, then you shouldn't worry - BSG does look for diversity in a variety of ways and we have 52 nationalities in our cohort this year.

If you guys have any other MPP-specific or general Oxford questions, feel free to post them - and I'll do my best to get back to you. Bear in mind though that I don't work for Admissions, so won't be assessing your odds of getting an offer/wait list/rejection.

Thank you for your support. Does BSG give full funding from BSG's internal scholarship? I applied to two external funding opportunities. Now curious to know about internal funding.
Original post by Alex52
Thank you for your support. Does BSG give full funding from BSG's internal scholarship? I applied to two external funding opportunities. Now curious to know about internal funding.

There are some but not many. It can be very competitive and may be very niche - e.g. there is one for public service and that's a difficult one to get because pretty much every single person who gets an offer is likely to have contributed to public service one way or another. Plus student numbers are growing, this year we had around 140 students and in the past it was 120. I would rely less on internal funding and apply for as many external funding opportunities as you can.
Original post by journeyaway
There are some but not many. It can be very competitive and may be very niche - e.g. there is one for public service and that's a difficult one to get because pretty much every single person who gets an offer is likely to have contributed to public service one way or another. Plus student numbers are growing, this year we had around 140 students and in the past it was 120. I would rely less on internal funding and apply for as many external funding opportunities as you can.

Thank you for this insight @journeyaway ! I do have a quick question. Is it typical for colleges to reach out to applicants about available funding through their college before application decisions have been made? I know a few mates (that applied for the BSG MPP) that got emails from colleges providing information on scholarships and prompting them to apply.

Just checking if this is typically done for ALL applicants that fit certain criteria (nationality, background, gender, etc) for the respective scholarships or ONLY those that pass a certain stage of the decision process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending