The Student Room Group

Degree to be a screenwriter/director?

I would like to be a screenwriter and also possibly director as well (although that's probably very unlikely, considering how difficult the industry is to break into) but I don't know whether having a degree would be beneficial.
If I was to do a degree it would probably be English but then again, do you really need a degree for careers in the Film/TV industry? I always thought agents were more interested in the quality of your writing than your qualifications.
Original post by username6064816
I would like to be a screenwriter and also possibly director as well (although that's probably very unlikely, considering how difficult the industry is to break into) but I don't know whether having a degree would be beneficial.
If I was to do a degree it would probably be English but then again, do you really need a degree for careers in the Film/TV industry? I always thought agents were more interested in the quality of your writing than your qualifications.

You absolutely do not need a degree for a career in Film and TV, if anything having a degree could hinder, rather than help your career in the long term
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
You absolutely do not need a degree for a career in Film and TV, if anything having a degree could hinder, rather than help your career in the long term

How could having a degree hinder your career?
Original post by penguingirl18
How could having a degree hinder your career?

It will hinder your career in terms of the student debt, additionally many apprenticeships will reject you if you have a qualification that is higher than the apprenticeship. As an example if you are applying for a level 3 (A - Level) film apprenticeship and have a media degree the cosmpany can reject you because of the higher level qualification.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by username6064816

Hello,
It's fantastic that you're interested in Film. You might wish to look at University of Sunderland if you're interested in pursuing a career in screenwriting for films, including knowledge and expertise of pre-production and post-production. The Film Production BA (Hons) course, in particular, I believe would best match your interests.
As I am in my first year of Film production, I can tell you a about this course. A film production at University of Sunderland course will usually cover every stage of the filmmaking process, from pre-production through post-production. Scriptwriting, directing, cinematography, sound design, editing, and distribution are all covered.
It also focuses on the study and analysis of films, as well as the history of cinema, rather than just filmmaking. Cinema Theory, Film Analysis, Genre Studies, Critical Approaches, and Film and Society are among the themes covered.
In your first year, you will study Narrative scriptwriting, where you will learn the key skills of storytelling through workshops on narratives and formats, and you will use those skills to inform your work and professional development. Produce an independently written short script, as well as a treatment and pitch. You can also study Screenwriting in depth as a module in your second year. It is beneficial to comprehend the concepts and techniques used in writing drama or comedy for television or streaming services such as Netflix or Amazon.
The course consists of both academic lectures and practical workshops in which you may apply your knowledge in real-world circumstances. You will also get the chance to work with industry-standard equipment and materials.
From day one, you’ll have access to specialized digital cameras, sound recording equipment, lighting kit, Steadicam rigs, and professional editing software packages such as Avid Media Composer, Adobe Premier Pro and Da Vinci Resolve.
A new regional office for the renowned independent production firm Fulwell 73, creators of the Netflix series "Sunderland 'Til I Die," has opened in our David Puttnam Media Centre. So that you may gain firsthand knowledge of and understanding of a top production company's operation.

Please let me know if you have any more queries!
Kind regards,
Mrunali Kalbhor,
University of Sunderland Student ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending