The Student Room Group

Best friend ditched me when he got into a relationship

I’m a woman and have been close friends with a guy from Uni for years, literally since uni. We used to talk loads and go places and it was just an amazing friendship. So I got into a relationship over a year before he did and around this time, he was talking about going on dating apps and finding himself someone (Copycat lol). He eventually found someone he wanted to be with and our friendship seemed to continue as normal. Recently though that has all changed. He made some comment when I went home from one of our last hang outs like ‘obviously [his gf’s name] comes first cos that’s who I’m dating’ and idk I felt really insulted by that.

I didn’t ditch him for my relationship and it’s like he wants to throw away like 3 years of friendship for some girl he met a few months ago?! And he’s just been blanking my messages, taking ages to reply, not organising to hang out anymore etc.

I thought it’s because I’m a woman- But just because it’s a boy and girl being friends it doesn’t mean I’m like a threat to her or something, we’ve been friends for years. Even my bf doesnt care if me and him hung out. We even went on a trip together for days and he was fine with it because we’re friends and always will be. He’s absolutely NOT someone I’d date or be attracted to ever and that’s fair enough. If she’s insecure then that’s her problem.

Also, even when I did get to hang out with him in the early stages, he would just keep talking about her almost like bragging or showing off and I was bored of it because he’d say the same old thing and I wouldn’t know what to even say.

I’m beginning to think he’s just a fake friend, because friends shouldn’t leave when something different happens in their life. I treat my friends with the same respect as I always have. There’s no excuses tbh.

But yeah I just want my friend back :frown:
But I don’t think I’ll get him back will I? Anyone got any similar experience/ advice?
Reply 1
Possibly you’re being a bit too possessive, a new relationship is bound to be a priority. It’ll probably calm down in a bit or all end in tears and your friendship will be back on track
Original post by Anonymous
I’m a woman and have been close friends with a guy from Uni for years, literally since uni. We used to talk loads and go places and it was just an amazing friendship. So I got into a relationship over a year before he did and around this time, he was talking about going on dating apps and finding himself someone (Copycat lol). He eventually found someone he wanted to be with and our friendship seemed to continue as normal. Recently though that has all changed. He made some comment when I went home from one of our last hang outs like ‘obviously [his gf’s name] comes first cos that’s who I’m dating’ and idk I felt really insulted by that.

I didn’t ditch him for my relationship and it’s like he wants to throw away like 3 years of friendship for some girl he met a few months ago?! And he’s just been blanking my messages, taking ages to reply, not organising to hang out anymore etc.

I thought it’s because I’m a woman- But just because it’s a boy and girl being friends it doesn’t mean I’m like a threat to her or something, we’ve been friends for years. Even my bf doesnt care if me and him hung out. We even went on a trip together for days and he was fine with it because we’re friends and always will be. He’s absolutely NOT someone I’d date or be attracted to ever and that’s fair enough. If she’s insecure then that’s her problem.

Also, even when I did get to hang out with him in the early stages, he would just keep talking about her almost like bragging or showing off and I was bored of it because he’d say the same old thing and I wouldn’t know what to even say.

I’m beginning to think he’s just a fake friend, because friends shouldn’t leave when something different happens in their life. I treat my friends with the same respect as I always have. There’s no excuses tbh.

But yeah I just want my friend back :frown:
But I don’t think I’ll get him back will I? Anyone got any similar experience/ advice?

Perhaps he liked u and the fact that u got a bf really hurt him and that's why he's been looking for a girl cuz he feels ditched or abandoned by u. And now he's hurting u like u hurt him by chucking u aside because that's how he really felt when u found a bf. Tell him u wanna chat and call him o a cafe or sum **** here he can focus on the conversation and say look this is the last time I'm reaching out to u ur pushing me away and there's clearly a problem. Just tell me what's up rather than pushing me away like this have I done something to hurt u or something. If there's anything u want to say say it right now and we can resolve the issue otherwise I guess this is it. I'll remove ur number off my phone and we'll go our separate ways and I'll never bother u or pester u to meet up again since u clearly want me out of ur life for some reason." and he'll do either one of these two things one tell u what's on his mind (what I think is he likes u and still does very much) or he'll be like fine whatever and if he doesn't wanna say what's wrong WALK AWAY. Pretend u don't care don't look back just walk out n be like "it was nice knowing u goodbye" (within a week being the MAXIMUM amount of time he'd take) he'd call u up trust me. Cuz I'm getting sour feelings from him he wants to make u jealous and abandoned just how he felt when u got a bf.

Since he's this sour say he confesses his feelings for u and u reject him cuz u don't like him I'm guessing the friendship will totally disintegrate he MAY come back n be like im sorry i wanna be friends or maybe he'll stay out. But do the first step of sitting down w him in a cafe to hv a discussion to see whatthe situation is really about because u could have missed out something that ur not aware of. Good luck
I’m assuming you’re in your teens. In the adult world, it would be a huge red flag if partners were spending time alone with a member of the opposite sex… Part of growing up is acknowledging that relationships with friends (regardless of gender) will become more distant when they have partners, they are each other’s best friend now and healthy boundaries need to be respected. She could potentially be the person he will spend the rest of his life with.

I know it hurts, but as you get older, you realise you’re not going to be living and sharing your life with friends but with your partner.

It’s not personal, and also the way boys word things may sound abit cold sometimes! You just need to take it in your stride as a part of growing up and entering adulthood.

I had a very similar experience as you but my friend was a girl. Started dating a boy at 14, now if I had prioritised my relationship with her, I don’t think 8 years later I’d have married that boy! Me and the girl are still good friends as she has a boyfriend now and we all spend time together. So try and get yourself a fella and the four of you hang out🙂
He probably liked u but u didn't and got a bf so now he's found someone else but I know how u feel cos it happened to me except I don't have a bf
If his girlfriend has an issue with it, he’s gonna respect his girlfriend because that’s who he’s potentially going to be romantically involved with for a long time, not you. It doesn’t matter if your boyfriend doesn’t have an issue with you being friends with him, that’s your boyfriend, a completely different person. Not everyone is the same. If she’s not okay with it and he cares about her and the relationship enough, he will respect his girlfriend’s opinion. You’re taking it too personally, you have your own boyfriend to focus on. A guy being best friends with a girl has always been considered as a potential issue if there’s a girlfriend or boyfriend involved, so don’t take it personally. If it was your girl friend that ditched you, it would be a different story, but this is completely understandable.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m assuming you’re in your teens. In the adult world, it would be a huge red flag if partners were spending time alone with a member of the opposite sex… Part of growing up is acknowledging that relationships with friends (regardless of gender) will become more distant when they have partners, they are each other’s best friend now and healthy boundaries need to be respected. She could potentially be the person he will spend the rest of his life with.

I know it hurts, but as you get older, you realise you’re not going to be living and sharing your life with friends but with your partner.

It’s not personal, and also the way boys word things may sound abit cold sometimes! You just need to take it in your stride as a part of growing up and entering adulthood.

I had a very similar experience as you but my friend was a girl. Started dating a boy at 14, now if I had prioritised my relationship with her, I don’t think 8 years later I’d have married that boy! Me and the girl are still good friends as she has a boyfriend now and we all spend time together. So try and get yourself a fella and the four of you hang out🙂

What toxic heteronormative romanticist ******** you've written, but I assume you're young and naïve and haven't yet realised your young marriage will statistically more than likely end in divorce within a few years. A romantic partner will never be your best friend, a best friend will platonically love you despite your faults, all too often a romantic partner will resent you for them. Most marriages are unhappy, 40+% will end in divorce, at least half will involve infidelity, and when those things happen you'll be alone without the support network needed to make a healthy recovery. Never put all your eggs in one basket, share your love and dedication with those that show you the same, whether they be family, a best friend, or a lover. When one always prioritises romantic interests over the other people in your life that bring you love and joy then you should be prepared to be eventually alone and heartbroken...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending