The Student Room Group

Learning to Drive - Get the Facts!

I've been dipping in and out of this forum for a while, offering help where I can to set people on the right path. There is often quite a bit of mis-information going on with people expressing opinions which are not based on fact.

I've worked in the driver training and testing industry for nearly 40 years, both as a driving instructor teaching pupils from beginner to advanced, and as a driving examiner - it's fair to say that I know the system inside out and back to front!

If anyone needs real advice about learning to drive or the driving test, feel free to post on here or even to DM me with your queries. You'll get honest and impartial advice from someone with the knowledge and experience to put you on the right path (or road.)
Reply 1
slightly stupid question: do you have to pass the theory test before taking driving lessons or can you start immediately after getting a provisional license?
Original post by zeasea
slightly stupid question: do you have to pass the theory test before taking driving lessons or can you start immediately after getting a provisional license?

You can start lessons once you have got provisional license. You have to pass your theory before you BOOK your Practical test though
Perfect timee. My tests in about a week. Any tips? Also, say I’m going right, 4th exist in a roundabout, do I stair on the right and indicate right or stay left and indicate right when leaving the roundabout? Also, when overtaking, do I indicate and when giving way? Thanks in advanceee
Original post by zeasea

Original post by AvfcWalpole7
You can start lessons once you have got provisional license. You have to pass your theory before you BOOK your Practical test though

Yes that's right, you need to get your licence before booking any test, but you can start learning to drive and take the theory test later.
Original post by Noble.x
Perfect timee. My tests in about a week. Any tips? Also, say I’m going right, 4th exist in a roundabout, do I stair on the right and indicate right or stay left and indicate right when leaving the roundabout? Also, when overtaking, do I indicate and when giving way? Thanks in advanceee

I'm a bit concerned by your questions, the fact that you don't know the answer to this basic stuff tells me that you're probably not ready to take the test. Have you been taking lessons with an instructor?

For turning right at a roundabout I'd recommend reading this article - https://www.ukdrivingskills.co.uk/learning-to-drive/turn-right-at-a-roundabout/

I don't really understand your question about overtaking. A signal should always be considered when overtaking (though it may not always be absolutely necessary), but I don't know what you mean when you say about giving way?
Reply 6
I've got my test coming up in 3 weeks, and would like any advice you have to offer. I am still a beginner and still have a few more things to learn in order to be test ready. Thanks in advance
Hi, unless you have specific questions then I don't really know how to answer. A good idea might be to grab yourself a copy of 'The Driving Test & How to Pass' - this will answer many questions for you. It's available on Amazon either as a paperback or eBook.

I am concerned however that you say you're still a beginner but your test is 3 weeks away? You should be primed and ready and much more than a beginner by this stage!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending