The Student Room Group

I haven't been able to send my UCAS application in time

Hi,

Long story short, I strated studying biomedical science at university, and I dropped out of the course as it wasn't for me. I'm now applying for maths and I completely forgot that I needed a reference.

So, I couldn't hand it in on the 25th without the reference. Today (26th), I couldn't get in touch with my old sixth form and now I'm concerned. Everytim the reception trasferred me over to sixth form, the line would just ring and no-one would pick up. However, I sent a voicemail and asked the receptionist to send an email to the head of year, so hopefully it should be sorted out by tommorw, as I assume he could just use the same reference used did last time.

In the meantime, I'll ask my personal tutor for a reference instead, but he won't be able to say much as I barley knew him.

I just want your guys' input on how f*cked I am

Edit: I sent my old personal tutor an email requensting for details about him to put down on my UCAS. In my opinion, I doubt he'd respond back since some of the questions were quite personal, like address and phone ect.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Also, I sent the university I want to go to an email, asking them if I could send in my application now, and send my reference through the applicant portal or something like that. This is the response I got back:

" Dear Muhammad,

We expect all applications to include either an academic reference or a professional reference (where the applicant has been out of education for some time).

You can still submit an application in the meantime, so that the team can start making the application assessment. In some instances, a School will be happy to accept an application without a reference, but this is not the case for all of the programmes and is purely at the School’s discretion.

If the Admissions team handling your application, need a reference before making a decision on your application, they will request this from you via the Queen Mary applicant portal.

I hope you find this information useful "

I literraly just said they may accept it but they may not, real useful Queeen Mary, realll usefull🙄
Well the good news is you can still go uni. The bad news is that it's unlikely you will end up going to QMuL like you wanted to originally because they are a russel group uni and quite competitive, so if you didn't meet the equal consideration deadline then your odds of getting into that uni are low. Did you contact the university and explain your situation like I suggested you do? because you are able to send your application off as long as you check the checkbox stating that the universities let you send it without.
Original post by Muhammad012
I literraly just said they may accept it but they may not, real useful Queeen Mary, realll usefull🙄

Okay so it's up to you now whether you want to take that risk and send your application and upload the reference onto their portal ASAP. You have your answer from them, it's up to you to make a decision now.
Original post by alanb21
Well the good news is you can still go uni. The bad news is that it's unlikely you will end up going to QMuL like you wanted to originally because they are a russel group uni and quite competitive, so if you didn't meet the equal consideration deadline then your odds of getting into that uni are low. Did you contact the university and explain your situation like I suggested you do? because you are able to send your application off as long as you check the checkbox stating that the universities let you send it without.

I called admissions, but they just told me to email them, which I did, and I ended up getting that respose.
The problem is, I don't know how much impact a day would make, since I'm confident that I'll be able to get in contact with sixth form tomorrow.

What do you guys think?
I addressed this in your other thread. Yes, you might still be considered.

The reply is reasonably clear. It’s at the department’s discretion but there is a possibility.

Submit the app without and sort it out later.

If the course closes then the reference status is irrelevant. The most important thing is to get the app to them before that happens.
I don't know if it 's relevant, but I applied to 2 courses to Queen Mary - Mathematics, and Mathematics with foundation.

I got BBB, to do Maths, you need ABB, I applied anyways since they might still accept me with one grade off. With the foundation course, you need CCC, which I obviously got. But I was hoping that if they don't accept im for the normal course, they'll accept me for the foundation course.
Original post by Admit-One

The reply is reasonably clear. It’s at the department’s discretion but there is a possibility.

If the course closes then the reference status is irrelevant. The most important thing is to get the app to them before that happens.

Okay, I'll do that right now.

I have to ask, does everybody else agree with this?
I have to ask, does everybody else agree with this?

Yes this is good advice. Since you have 3 choices left just quickly look up 3 other foundation courses in uni's you like and then send off your application.
As an aside, I have worked in admissions for many years, so this is qualified advice and not some internet rando.
So, I applied to
Mathematics at Queen Mary
Mathematics with foundation at Queen Mary
Mathemenatics at City, University of London
Mathematics a with foudationat City, Univesity of London
And middlesex becasue I didn't know what else to pick - they were the 2 main unis in my area.
@Admit-One I've just called City, University of London and they said that I should wait until I have the reference first. Does that change your advice or should I apply now anyways? (since I mainly want to get accepted by Queen Mary)
@Admit-One I know you have other forums to respoind to, and other things to do, but I'm freaking out and would really appreciate your advice as soon as you can respond
@Admit-One I've just called City, University of London and they said that I should wait until I have the reference first. Does that change your advice or should I apply now anyways? (since I mainly want to get accepted by Queen Mary)

I would call the (edit) Maths department at QMUL and explain your position, (ref pending, but conscious you don't want to risk the course closing in the interim). They should be able to advise what their policy on refs is and how likely the course is to close in the immediate future.

https://www.qmul.ac.uk/maths/about-us/contact-us/

I'd make a decision based on what they say. (City may just be saying to wait as they don't expect the course to close any time soon, so it's easier for them to await a complete app).
(edited 1 year ago)
I would call the (edit) Maths department at QMUL and explain your position, (ref pending, but conscious you don't want to risk the course closing in the interim). They should be able to advise what their policy on refs is and how likely the course is to close in the immediate future.

https://www.qmul.ac.uk/maths/about-us/contact-us/

I'd make a decision based on what they say. (City may just be saying to wait as they don't expect the course to close any time soon, so it's easier for them to await a complete app).

Yh, that's what I thought you meant, I spoke to the maths department and explained my situation to them, they said that they won't be able to comment on that and the best people to speak to are admissions, which I've already done.
In that case, you think the best course of action would be to send it in right now and hope for the best?
(edit: to send it in right now without the refrence)
(edited 1 year ago)
This is a bit desperate, but would you suggest I mention the reference thing at the end of my personal statement.

To be fair, I don't really know why they'd need the reference, it's official that I have the A-level grades as I'm applying after dropping out of 1st year from a different University
@Admit-One Okay, I'm just letting you know that i'm sending it off now and that I won't including anthing about refrences in my personal statement - Thank you for your help.

The thing is, my personal statement is really good imo, so if they read that, then hopefully they would at least consider me.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending