The Student Room Group

Can someone please help me out what to do next, I applied to uni without a reference?

So, before applying I did email uni and told them how my referee won’t be able to give a reference on time. They said to apply by deadline and reference can be sent later…
So I’ve applied and received a confirmation email saying my application has gone to the department for consideration… what do I do next? Should I email them to ask if I should give my referee detail to them now (since my referee need to give them predicted grades too) or should I wait till someone from the department contacts me? Other uni’s gave like an applicant portal but this one doesn’t and it was a no reply email… I hope I’m not overthinking, I'm scared if they make a decision without the predicted grades and reference.
Hi @Minminwun,

I would consider sending your department an email. I'm sure there's an email on the university website or you could send an email to the admissions department at the uni as they will be able to get in contact with the relevant people that can help you. If you're worried I'd suggest emailing sooner rather than later so you can a response quicker!

-Beth :smile:
(Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by Minminwun
So, before applying I did email uni and told them how my referee won’t be able to give a reference on time. They said to apply by deadline and reference can be sent later…
So I’ve applied and received a confirmation email saying my application has gone to the department for consideration… what do I do next? Should I email them to ask if I should give my referee detail to them now (since my referee need to give them predicted grades too) or should I wait till someone from the department contacts me? Other uni’s gave like an applicant portal but this one doesn’t and it was a no reply email… I hope I’m not overthinking, I'm scared if they make a decision without the predicted grades and reference.

If they need a reference to make a decision, they will contact you to ask to arrange one. If you get your reference sorted before they reach out to you, just email it to their central admissions team along with your UCAS ID, name and the course you are applying to.
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
If they need a reference to make a decision, they will contact you to ask to arrange one. If you get your reference sorted before they reach out to you, just email it to their central admissions team along with your UCAS ID, name and the course you are applying to.

Hi, do I ask my referee to send a reference with my details to the admissions team, or send me an official statement with sign and then I send it to admissions or do I send my referee’s details to the admission’s team so they can ask my referee for a reference? Sorry if this is like a common sense question, I'm just very confused
Original post by Minminwun
Hi, do I ask my referee to send a reference with my details to the admissions team, or send me an official statement with sign and then I send it to admissions or do I send my referee’s details to the admission’s team so they can ask my referee for a reference? Sorry if this is like a common sense question, I'm just very confused

No, it's quite alright, that's a very common question!

There is no set answer as each uni decides how they want to receive the ref. Some may be happy for it to come from you, assuming it is a letterheaded doc, or uni's might want it to come from an academic email address to prove it's authenticity.

The uni will usually explain how they want you to provide it when they get in touch. If your referee is happy to send it direct to admissions then that is probably the safest bet, but make sure they include at least your UCAS ID along with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending