The Student Room Group

applying to uni (medicine)

can you apply to uni without predicted grades?
Do you have achieved grades ?
No. Unless you have actual a level grades
not quite :s-smilie: - I'm going to sit for my a level exams next year though!
So why will you not have predicted grades?
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
So why will you not have predicted grades?

I'm a private candidate who's studying independently but I'm going to look for some online tutors because it seems to me that this is the only viable option at the moment (in terms of obtaining predicted grades)!
Reply 6
So some places say they do not regard predicted grades in thier selection process. Unfortunatly that doesnt mean that they wont wish to see them.

How are you intending to cover off the reference part? Could whomever is doing that bit aid with the predicted grades ?

You could write to the med schools you are interested in (or all of them) and ask what their preferred approach for private students is.

Either way I would get any information in writing. And it may take a while so poss start writing soon!

This is my gut feeling. I hope that somebody with far more knowledge than me (like @GANFYD perhaps 😉) might be able to give a more evidence based steer.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by GGIN
So some places say they do not regard predicted grades in thier selection process. Unfortunatly that doesnt mean that they wont wish to see them.

How are you intending to cover off the reference part? Could whomever is doing that bit aid with the predicted grades ?

You could write to the med schools you are interested in (or all of them) and ask what their preferred approach for private students is.

Either way I would get any information in writing. And it may take a while so poss start writing soon!

This is my gut feeling. I hope that somebody with far more knowledge than me (like @GANFYD perhaps 😉) might be able to give a more evidence based steer.

thank you so much this is really helpful! I'm definitely going to write to the unis asap and in terms of the reference and the grades, the online school I'm planning to enrol into, has these two services incorporated into their course so hopefully that will help me out!!
Reply 8
Original post by itz_lilly
thank you so much this is really helpful! I'm definitely going to write to the unis asap and in terms of the reference and the grades, the online school I'm planning to enrol into, has these two services incorporated into their course so hopefully that will help me out!!

I have (I dont know what the technical term is) shouted out GANFYD in my post. Might be worth seeing what they say when they have a chance to respond. Busy person though !

May not have the magic answer, but you never know.
Original post by GGIN
I have (I dont know what the technical term is) shouted out GANFYD in my post. Might be worth seeing what they say when they have a chance to respond. Busy person though !

Thank you so much again! You've been really helpful ~
Reply 10
Original post by GGIN

Bank holidays - scourge of the NHS, still 5 days work but only 4 days to do it in!

The advice you gave was totally correct. There are a few unis that do not look at predicted grades, but getting someone to predict them will give many more options, provided it is at least AAA
Reply 11
Original post by itz_lilly
I'm a private candidate who's studying independently but I'm going to look for some online tutors because it seems to me that this is the only viable option at the moment (in terms of obtaining predicted grades)!

I worked with a tutor who supplied my predicted grade to my referee. I then just inputted my predicted grade into UCAS when I applied. As long as it’s backed up in your reference, you’re fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending