The Student Room Group

Do I drop A level Physics? (4th A level)

Recently after studying for a few months into year 12 I have realised that doing 4 a levels do have quite a toll on me. I am consistently doing work all the time, this doesn't bother me as much however it does seem slightly demotivating at times when comparing myself to the many people in my school who chose to study 3 a levels. May I add that I'm studying Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics. These topics in themselves are quite intermediate when it comes to difficulty from what I've experienced and been told. With the maths, Further maths and Computer Science I have seen myself coping well and understanding the work well. However when it comes to physics the work load is significantly higher than other subjects and to be honest the work is quite difficult. I am by no means bad at physics however my question is if it is useful to study 4 a levels when it comes to applications to such prestigious universities such as oxford? In addition I also took an EPQ which I will be doing on quantum computing in the stock market and self teaching myself German and Piano (Which I will be going forward to getting graded) My plan is to study either Finance or Computer science at Oxbridge, MIT, Stanford or Russel group University (Written in respect to preference ). My GCSE Grades may I add were 998888766 with the 9-7 grades being in stem subjects and the 6s being in English Lit and Lang. My grade for Computer Science was a 7 may add too. If I were to drop physics it should not matter to what I am eventually going to study as it has no relation into it and I only chose to study it as It was related to Maths. In addition my Predicted Grades are A* A* A* A* Therefore is it worth Dropping?
Original post by deestar23
Recently after studying for a few months into year 12 I have realised that doing 4 a levels do have quite a toll on me. I am consistently doing work all the time, this doesn't bother me as much however it does seem slightly demotivating at times when comparing myself to the many people in my school who chose to study 3 a levels. May I add that I'm studying Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics. These topics in themselves are quite intermediate when it comes to difficulty from what I've experienced and been told. With the maths, Further maths and Computer Science I have seen myself coping well and understanding the work well. However when it comes to physics the work load is significantly higher than other subjects and to be honest the work is quite difficult. I am by no means bad at physics however my question is if it is useful to study 4 a levels when it comes to applications to such prestigious universities such as oxford? In addition I also took an EPQ which I will be doing on quantum computing in the stock market and self teaching myself German and Piano (Which I will be going forward to getting graded) My plan is to study either Finance or Computer science at Oxbridge, MIT, Stanford or Russel group University (Written in respect to preference ). My GCSE Grades may I add were 998888766 with the 9-7 grades being in stem subjects and the 6s being in English Lit and Lang. My grade for Computer Science was a 7 may add too. If I were to drop physics it should not matter to what I am eventually going to study as it has no relation into it and I only chose to study it as It was related to Maths. In addition my Predicted Grades are A* A* A* A* Therefore is it worth Dropping?

Drop the EPQ rather than an A level and stop learning German ....!

Are those grades targets as it's FAR to early to give predictions.
if you're looking at mit/stanford in order of uselessness i would drop epq then computer science *then* physics. drop epq then see how you feel then if it's too much consider dropping cs over physics
Yep you can drop physics if you know you won't be using it, 4 a levels won't give you an advantage. Like others have said, you can drop epq as well.
Reply 4
Ye they are Predictions, we've had several exams in which they derive them from. Of course it is early however I believe they do change over the year as we have increasingly more mock exams in the future.

Original post by Muttley79
Drop the EPQ rather than an A level and stop learning German ....!

Are those grades targets as it's FAR to early to give predictions.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by deestar23
Ye they are Predictions, we've had several exams in which they derive them from. Of course it is early however I believe they do change over the year as we have increasingly more mock exams in the future.

Crazy - I would NEVER give a prediction now - you've not done enough Year 12 work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending