The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Colleges and Accommodation

Hey,

Since getting offered a place for biomedical science I have briefly looked into the accommodation. I wanted to know what’s the difference between the colleges and their accommodation. Also what colleges are near where I would be learning.
Hi there,

Congratulations on your offer to study biomedical sciences at York! I'll try my best to answer your questions...

The Biology department (where you'll likely spend a lot of your time studying your course) is on Campus West. There are five undergraduate colleges on Campus West:
- Vanbrugh
- Derwent
- James
- Alcuin
- Halifax

The nearest college to the Biology department is Vanbrugh, but don't worry if you don't want to live there / don't get allocated that college. I'm a Biology graduate, and I lived in Derwent in my first year. I was able to walk to all my lectures, labs etc. very easily (if I remember rightly, it took me less than 10 minutes to get from my accommodation to the Biology department).

There are also five undergraduate colleges on Campus East:
- Anne Lister
- Constantine
- David Kato
- Goodricke
- Langwith

Campus East is a short bus ride from Campus West, a 5-10 minute bike ride, or a 20-30 minute walk (depending on which bit of Campus East you're leaving from, and which bit of Campus West you want to get to). I had friends on my course who lived on Campus East in first-year who enjoyed the slightly longer commute, as they felt it gave more separation from their home and their course.

I know you asked about differences between colleges, but let's start with their similarities! Every college offers the same thing in terms of:
- A dedicated team of staff and students for support
- College sport, college music, and other college events
- A smaller community within the University that you can belong in
- Somewhere to live!

Now for the differences. Each college offers slightly different accommodation types, in terms of price, location, catered or self-catered, shared bathroom or en-suite. In picking your college, probably the best place to start is to think about what you want from your accommodation, as that might dictate the colleges you can pick from!

I hope this helps! - Hannah :smile:

Have you joined our offer holder Instagram group, @uoy_offerholders2023 ? This is a great place to get advice from current students and recent graduates!
University of York
York

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending