The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

Is it normal to get a email from Chester via specific person?

I don't mean to sound paranoid but after being sent multiple scam emails that were almost convincing, Im not sure if the specific email is valid or not.

The email consists of the persons first and last name and then a typical @chester.ac.uk. I tried to search them but I only found them on linkled but not on the official chester site. Im sorry if I sound stupid but it's just that they asked for my passport so Im a little suspicious even though I know sometimes universities consider it a requirement. Usually universities had emailed me with their admissions and enquiries email rather from a direct person.

So it it normal for a university like Chester to be emailed from a persons email starring first and last name?
Possibly, depends on their role and what you emailed them in the first place about to get the reply. Admin staff often aren't listed on faculty pages (or are harder to find on them) but may well liaise with students and applicants directly on various matters.

Did you apply to the uni? Is there a reason for them to ask for your passport (e.g. are you an international student)?
(edited 1 year ago)
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website
Original post by artful_lounger
Possibly, depends on their role and what you emailed them in the first place about to get the reply. Admin staff often aren't listed on faculty pages (or are harder to find on them) but may well liaise with students and applicants directly on various matters.

Did you apply to the uni? Is there a reason for them to ask for your passport (e.g. are you an international student)?

I did apply to the university and I guess it may be due to me saying that I have dual nationalities (British and another country in Europe) but I am not a international student.
Original post by Anonymous
I did apply to the university and I guess it may be due to me saying that I have dual nationalities (British and another country in Europe) but I am not a international student.

Have you been resident in the UK for the last 3 years? As this often defines your fee status (domestic or international) rather than your citizenship.
(edited 1 year ago)
Have you been resident in the UK for the last 3 years? As this often defines your fee status (domestic or international) rather than your citizenship.

I've been resident in the UK for over 3 years, 16 years to be precise.
I've been resident in the UK for over 3 years, 16 years to be precise.

It's a little unusual then, although the dual nationality aspect may be the reason (I've got indefinite leave to remain and have lived here most of my life but still regularly need to submit my passport to unis, jobs, all sorts). I'd go back and say that you are a UK national and resident so don't understand why you are being asked for your passport I guess?

You can also contact the uni directly through another method on their website and specifically say "I've been contacted by xyz email address which seems to be from your uni, can you confirm if this person is a staff member and if I should release potentially sensitive data to them".

They should usually have some kind of email signature indicating their name, role, and department/office and usually an extension number too if they are genuine, at least for admin/non-academic staff in public facing roles this tends to be typical (academic staff have more of a tendency to half the time email from their official account and half the time from their personal email "[email protected]" in my experience :tongue: ).
(edited 1 year ago)
It's a little unusual then, although the dual nationality aspect may be the reason (I've got indefinite leave to remain and have lived here most of my life but still regularly need to submit my passport to unis, jobs, all sorts). I'd go back and say that you are a UK national and resident so don't understand why you are being asked for your passport I guess?

You can also contact the uni directly through another method on their website and specifically say "I've been contacted by xyz email address which seems to be from your uni, can you confirm if this person is a staff member and if I should release potentially sensitive data to them".

They should usually have some kind of email signature indicating their name, role, and department/office and usually an extension number too if they are genuine, at least for admin/non-academic staff in public facing roles this tends to be typical (academic staff have more of a tendency to half the time email from their official account and half the time from their personal email "[email protected]" in my experience :tongue: ).

Pff well I didn't expect that, well that sometimes bring more comfort to know their humane side :biggrin: Sucks to hear though that I might have to send my passport despite being a permanent resident.. (Although I do in sorts understand it). I'll email the university directly now and hope to get a response soon :smile: (the email set a deadline but I've still got a week). Thank you so much for your replies and I really appreciate the help especially the example of what I could ask. I really needed it after a mini panic between if it's a valid email or not :frown:
Reply 7
I don't mean to sound paranoid but after being sent multiple scam emails that were almost convincing, Im not sure if the specific email is valid or not.

The email consists of the persons first and last name and then a typical @chester.ac.uk. I tried to search them but I only found them on linkled but not on the official chester site. Im sorry if I sound stupid but it's just that they asked for my passport so Im a little suspicious even though I know sometimes universities consider it a requirement. Usually universities had emailed me with their admissions and enquiries email rather from a direct person.

So it it normal for a university like Chester to be emailed from a persons email starring first and last name?

Hi! If you're an international student (like me) and applied through UCAS, they would already have your passport info, so that seems a little bit fishy to me. I would check UCAS Track to see if anything has changed there. That usually updates pretty quickly after a school has made their decision, so if there's nothing there within a day I'd email the admissions team and ask them for clarification. They should be able to clear things up for you. At least I hope they can!

Does @University of Chester have anything to say to this? I also applied and am waiting for a decision and would be concerned and confused if I got an email like this, too. :confused:
Whilst it is unusual to email an applicant from a personal email address, it doesn't necessarily mean anything untoward is going on. It may just be something as simple as someone forgetting to switch profiles in outlook before sending a message. I've done this myself and have kicked myself afterwards as I certainly didn't want to give my address out to all and sundry :smile:

If you click reply and the return address is definitely an @chester.ac.uk one, you are almost certainly fine. However, there is no harm in emailing an address from their site to confirm that this is a legitimate request. Alternatively if they have a portal you might be able to send a message that way.

NB. It is common to ask for a copy of a passport when determining fee status, the details input into UCAS aren't enough for this.

Hello

While we're sure this is fine, would you like to send us a private message and let us know the email address you received an email from, or provide a screen shot of the email? We can then look into it for you and reassure you of the email you received.

Best wishes,
Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending