The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

ASK ME ANYTHING- Accommodation and student life! Bioscience students!

Hello everyone! :smile: I hope you're excited to come and join us here in September 2023!

I would love to answer any questions in this thread regarding accommodation, student life or any other queries you have about starting this September!

I am a current 2nd year Bioscience student so I am more than happy to answer any academic-related questions too!
Hi! :smile: I'm currently holding an offer for MBiolSci (biomed) with a year in industry from Sheffield! :woo: I wanted to know what a typical day for a bioscience student looks like, timings-wise? And how do you manage to fit in student societies and clubs with classes; in that vein, how many societies is considered a 'good' amount to be a part of? I'm kinda clueless lmao :lol:

Thanks! :biggrin:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by sleep_supremacy
Hi! :smile: I'm currently holding an offer for MBiolSci (biomed) with a year in industry from Sheffield! :woo: I wanted to know what a typical day for a bioscience student looks like, timings-wise? And how do you manage to fit in student societies and clubs with classes; in that vein, how many societies is considered a 'good' amount to be a part of? I'm kinda clueless lmao :lol:

Thanks! :biggrin:

Less intense than you think. In your first year you'll have maybe 2-3 lectures in a day, and labs weekly with tutorials on top of that, which sounds like a lot but actually isn't tonnes. Beyond that it depends on the module choices you make, but it's very do-able as long as you put a decent amount of work in throughout the year.

Society stuff is generally evenings and weekends, and if you do sports they usually do things on Wednesday afternoons (which for most people (med students notwithstanding) are kept free of timetabled uni work), so there's plenty of time to do them. How many you're in depends on what you do. Things like the duck society or the tea making society won't require that much commitment. If you join a competitive team in a sports club or a performance society you might need to dedicate a lot more time to them. The level of commitment required for what you're doing will determine how many societies you can be in, but there's no real answer for how many you 'should' be in: plenty of people go through uni without ever joining a society, it just depends on you, your interests, and what you want to do with your free time!.
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hello everyone! :smile: I hope you're excited to come and join us here in September 2023!

I would love to answer any questions in this thread regarding accommodation, student life or any other queries you have about starting this September!

I am a current 2nd year Bioscience student so I am more than happy to answer any academic-related questions too!

Hi I've just received my offer for geography and hoping to come sheffield this year! Just wondering what the best accommodation is in edncliffe/ ranmoor and how quiet/loud the accommodation really is in the student village area? also as its a city based campus im assuming lectures etc are spaced quite apart from one another, so how long would you say it takes to get across the campus to different seminars/ lectures etc?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I've just received my offer for geography and hoping to come sheffield this year! Just wondering what the best accommodation is in edncliffe/ ranmoor and how quiet/loud the accommodation really is in the student village area? also as its a city based campus im assuming lectures etc are spaced quite apart from one another, so how long would you say it takes to get across the campus to different seminars/ lectures etc?

Hi, congratulations on your offer!

I lived in Ranmoor in my first year, but I'd say any university halls would be good as they're the most social places. The university also offers support and puts on events for people living in the accomodation to make sure you're settling in ok. I got to do free yoga!
Some people say Ranmoor is quieter than Endcliffe, but I don't think there's too much difference. Endcliffe is bigger, and has the bar and shop, but noise level really depends on who you're living with.
One thing you can do is write a short bio when you're selecting accomodation, and read others so you can match yourself with like-minded people. I found this helpful when I was choosing my accomodation.

City accomodation is closer to campus, it took me about half an hour to walk to university from Ranmoor, but luckily once you're on capus everything is quite close together.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Safi
2nd year English Language and Linguistics
Hi, congratulations on your offer!

I lived in Ranmoor in my first year, but I'd say any university halls would be good as they're the most social places. The university also offers support and puts on events for people living in the accomodation to make sure you're settling in ok. I got to do free yoga!
Some people say Ranmoor is quieter than Endcliffe, but I don't think there's too much difference. Endcliffe is bigger, and has the bar and shop, but noise level really depends on who you're living with.
One thing you can do is write a short bio when you're selecting accomodation, and read others so you can match yourself with like-minded people. I found this helpful when I was choosing my accomodation.

City accomodation is closer to campus, it took me about half an hour to walk to university from Ranmoor, but luckily once you're on capus everything is quite close together.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Safi
2nd year English Language and Linguistics

Thank you that helps a lot! Also just wondering how the accommodation process works in terms of picking the one you want to live in and when we out what accommodation we have been allocated? Also do you know if the accommodation process is quicker for unconditional offer holders as thats my offer, just not sure about that either. Any help answering that is much appreciated :smile:
If anyone is doing biochemistry I had a link for the Whatssapp group and I can pm you the link

Hi, I was wondering how the first year timetable compares to the second year timetable
Hi
Does anyone know when in March 2023 Accomodation bookings open?
Original post by HarryStylesLOT
Hi

might not help that much but i know they open mid march for sure, not sure the exact date sorry
Original post by HarryStylesLOT
Hi

last year it was the 21st but that was later than expected
Hi

I was wondering how does your second year timetable compare to you first year timetable? Does the amount of credits you need to take increase? Will there be more content to learn? More labwork?

Thanks!
Hi! I have a question about accommodation. If I applied for single-sex accommodation is it strictly that or is it more casual? Would I be allowed to have my boyfriend spend the night for example? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending