The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Postgraduate Offer Holders 2023

Scroll to see replies

Yeh, mine was a 2:1 for MSc Modelling for Global Health and found that v strange - was really expecting to have to get a first! Do you think the offer is common across all applicants or does the condition of the offer vary based on the strength of an application?
Original post by 666satinsdoll666
Ah cool :smile: seems like the 2:1 offer is more common than I realised. We got the motivation to smash our courses cmon!!

Hope you get your college :smile:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
ah good luck with your English test :smile: ooh okay that sounds fun, all the colleges are beautiful, just hope I don't get somewhere super far away from the research hospitals!!

Yep same here! St Catz seems to be the closest college to JR so it's the best option for me. I stg if I get Wolfson or something with a 55 min walk...
Original post by asargi15
Yeh, mine was a 2:1 for MSc Modelling for Global Health and found that v strange - was really expecting to have to get a first! Do you think the offer is common across all applicants or does the condition of the offer vary based on the strength of an application?

I remember people saying it was based on the strength of your application and your current grade. I applied with a 2:1 equivalent GPA so I guess they can't expect me to boost myself to a first in my final semester...

Also another offer I got didn't even specify a final grade I had to achieve, though that one didn't come with guaranteed funding so that may play a role too.
ah welcome :smile: hopefully you'll get your formal offer next week if you applied in December

Ah thank you :h:
I submitted for November deadline. Got informal email Dec 20, the certificate of offer came after new year. Waiting for news on college since then.
Original post by icegates
I remember people saying it was based on the strength of your application and your current grade. I applied with a 2:1 equivalent GPA so I guess they can't expect me to boost myself to a first in my final semester...

Also another offer I got didn't even specify a final grade I had to achieve, though that one didn't come with guaranteed funding so that may play a role too.

I personally think the requirement is a 2:1 for everyone who gets admission because I haven't found anyone who was required to provide a first.

Original post by icegates

Original post by StalkersAdmirer
I personally think the requirement is a 2:1 for everyone who gets admission because I haven't found anyone who was required to provide a first.

my initial thought was strength of application like, they must really like you and so want to make it easier for you.

but yeah, haven't found anyone offered a first. might be for more popular courses like Medicine maybe?
Hi everyone! I've received a DPhil in Pharmacology offer from Reuben College, Oxford :smile:
my initial thought was strength of application like, they must really like you and so want to make it easier for you.

but yeah, haven't found anyone offered a first. might be for more popular courses like Medicine maybe?

Given all the courses only require a 2i, I really can't forsee any requiring a 1st - I think it's just a more competitive grade for applicants to have already achieved/ be working at. Potentially for American students or others from systems with a GPA it might be more common but in those systems it's usually hard to swing your GPA massively by final year without really bombing some classes, therefore if you have someone working at the first class equivalent in their penultimate semester it would make sense for that to be the offer as a drop to a 2i equivalent may indicate a number of Cs/ Ds/ Fs in the harder level courses which is not ideal for a potential grad student. Here though I know some universities (my own included), the final year counts for 2/3rds of our final classification meaning there's a lot more potential movement without necessarily anything going massively wrong, you can be working at a great standard throughout your degree but one slightly subpar performance in a final year essay or exam and your solid 1st can easily become a very high 2i (I've even seen drops to a 2ii before by some otherwise exceptional students). I don't think it's like undergraduate where they might give you an offer that's higher than the "typical" one.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 28
Hi all,

I got an invite to interview for the Interdisciplinary Bioscience DTP this morning - not sure what to do, as I have been offered a place on the Clinical Neuro DPhil too. My worry is (of course) about funding, I couldn't complete the DPhil without funding but I'm not sure if having a potential 2nd offer would be better or worse in terms of securing a funded place?

Advice would be lovely <3 Do I do the interview?
My brothers offer for MSc Mathematical Modelling and Scientific Computing was a first a few years ago and he was pretty adamant that my offer would be conditioned on a first also - he was very surprised
Original post by AnImaginativeID
Given all the courses only require a 2i, I really can't forsee any requiring a 1st - I think it's just a more competitive grade for applicants to have already achieved/ be working at. Potentially for American students or others from systems with a GPA it might be more common but in those systems it's usually hard to swing your GPA massively by final year without really bombing some classes, therefore if you have someone working at the first class equivalent in their penultimate semester it would make sense for that to be the offer as a drop to a 2i equivalent may indicate a number of Cs/ Ds/ Fs in the harder level courses which is not ideal for a potential grad student. Here though I know some universities (my own included), the final year counts for 2/3rds of our final classification meaning there's a lot more potential movement without necessarily anything going massively wrong, you can be working at a great standard throughout your degree but one slightly subpar performance in a final year essay or exam and your solid 1st can easily become a very high 2i (I've even seen drops to a 2ii before by some otherwise exceptional students). I don't think it's like undergraduate where they might give you an offer that's higher than the "typical" one.
My brothers offer for MSc Mathematical Modelling and Scientific Computing was a first a few years ago and he was pretty adamant that my offer would be conditioned on a first also - he was very surprised

Well, I just applied to Oxford because my parents and my friends encouraged me to do so. For me, I did not stand a chance at all. It is pretty embarrassing to say that, especially because I was a tad wrong and they saved me from myself haha.
I thought it would be a waste of time and money to apply holding a 2.i from Brazil (I am a medical doctor, and a 2.i for Oxford standards is a 8.5/85% out of 0-10/100% GPA, which is selective already). I totally understand your concerns, as they were mine too.
Sometimes, I catch myself not believing that I managed to get a place.

But that's okay. After writing many versions of my personal statement, tailoring a CV, and going after my referees for weeks and weeks on, I am glad that they took this material into consideration.
Original post by lswren
Hi all,

I got an invite to interview for the Interdisciplinary Bioscience DTP this morning - not sure what to do, as I have been offered a place on the Clinical Neuro DPhil too. My worry is (of course) about funding, I couldn't complete the DPhil without funding but I'm not sure if having a potential 2nd offer would be better or worse in terms of securing a funded place?

Advice would be lovely <3 Do I do the interview?

Go for it. Do the interview and give it your best shot. Being offered a place doesn't necessarily mean you would be given funding as most funding decisions come out April-ish. It's better to have two scholarships and pick the one you truly love than lose the opportunity to not have either.

And no, doing the interview will not interfere with funding for your current offered course.
Reply 32
Original post by StalkersAdmirer
Go for it. Do the interview and give it your best shot. Being offered a place doesn't necessarily mean you would be given funding as most funding decisions come out April-ish. It's better to have two scholarships and pick the one you truly love than lose the opportunity to not have either.

And no, doing the interview will not interfere with funding for your current offered course.

Thank you! Have accepted the interview. :smile:
Original post by lswren

Now go there and do your best. The more you experience you get, the more knowledge you'll have.
And it's good to have options to choose, too. Good luck!
Original post by lswren

Good luck! We are all rooting for you!
Reply 35
Thank you both!!! <3 Will let you know how it goes
Reply 36
Hi! I got an offer for the MSt Greek/Roman History, and I am crying since I opened it because the conditions are pretty much impossible to meet. So, I guess I got an offer from Oxford, and that was the worst thing that happened in my academic career. I just cannot believe my luck, but yay?
Hey guys, I am curious, has anyone been sent a criminal convictions declaration before his or her academic conditional requirements were met? Or does that only happen after?
Original post by JMarlb
Hi! I got an offer for the MSt Greek/Roman History, and I am crying since I opened it because the conditions are pretty much impossible to meet. So, I guess I got an offer from Oxford, and that was the worst thing that happened in my academic career. I just cannot believe my luck, but yay?

Congratulations on your offer! That's already an incredible achievement. If you don't make your conditions just tell everyone you chose to turn down the place, you'll sound cool.
Reply 39
Original post by clunguist
Congratulations on your offer! That's already an incredible achievement. If you don't make your conditions just tell everyone you chose to turn down the place, you'll sound cool.

I really don't want to sound cool, I want to get a nice degree, but I guess that's out of the question. I swear this has to be worse than getting rejected, but maybe I am simply not cut for academia.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending