The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Postgraduate Offer Holders 2023

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JMarlb
I really don't want to sound cool, I want to get a nice degree, but I guess that's out of the question. I swear this has to be worse than getting rejected, but maybe I am simply not cut for academia.

Apologies, I did not mean to make light of your situation. In terms of mental health I can see that getting unrealistic conditions would be really difficult, and potentially more frustrating than a hard rejection. Oxford ought to take better care to make their offers more reasonable, it's not even in their interests to make silly offers and have to reject people later.

Wishing you all the best and I really hope you either make your conditions, or end up somewhere equally amazing. The fact that you even got an offer shows you are very academically talented.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Hello everyone, and congratulations on the offers!

I have accepted the offers for DPhil in Population Health and the Oxford Population Health studentship. My academic conditions are concerning the submission of my transcript of records directly from my previous uni and an English test.

Does anyone have any experience requesting for a waiver of an English test? I did my MSc in Oxford too (for which I previously submitted IELTS exam results), so I reckon that should be good enough grounds for a waiver.

Also which colleges have started sending out offers?
Original post by StalkersAdmirer
Hey guys, I am curious, has anyone been sent a criminal convictions declaration before his or her academic conditional requirements were met? Or does that only happen after?

Yes. I just completed my criminal convictions declaration yesterday without meeting my academic requirements yet.
Original post by clinscieox

I have accepted the offers for DPhil in Population Health and the Oxford Population Health studentship. My academic conditions are concerning the submission of my transcript of records directly from my previous uni and an English test.

Does anyone have any experience requesting for a waiver of an English test? I did my MSc in Oxford too (for which I previously submitted IELTS exam results), so I reckon that should be good enough grounds for a waiver.

For a waiver, you need to have studied in the UK for at least 2 years. If that is not the case, you just need to submit your exam results.
Hey guys, I am curious, has anyone been sent a criminal convictions declaration before his or her academic conditional requirements were met? Or does that only happen after?

I got to do my criminal convictions declaration a week after I formally accepted the offer
Original post by kwtkwsk
For a waiver, you need to have studied in the UK for at least 2 years. If that is not the case, you just need to submit your exam results.

Thank you for this! I got in touch with the Department to see if they would accept my IELTS scores (considered expired because I took them two years ago).
Reply 46
Me! Accepted for Mphil Development Studies and St. Antony. Waiting for funding!

Thank you for this! I got in touch with the Department to see if they would accept my IELTS scores (considered expired because I took them two years ago).

Hey, you can request for a waiver from Oxford, you meet the criteria

To request a language test waiver, you must have studied a degree-level course that is:
-at least nine months in duration
-full-time
-undertaken at a recognised institution where teaching and assessment throughout the course is entirely in English
-has been completed within 2 years of the start date of the course to which you are applying.

Unless you did more than 2 years ago, you can request a waiver with the argument that you meet these criteria.

Source: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/international-applicants/english-language-requirements
Experience: I got it waived because I did my masters in at the University of Glasgow.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 48

Hey! I also got offer for DPhil in Population Health. Did you receive your offer and studentship together?
Hey, you can request for a waiver from Oxford, you meet the criteria

To request a language test waiver, you must have studied a degree-level course that is:
-at least nine months in duration
-full-time
-undertaken at a recognised institution where teaching and assessment throughout the course is entirely in English
-has been completed within 2 years of the start date of the course to which you are applying.

Unless you did more than 2 years ago, you can request a waiver with the argument that you meet these criteria.

Source: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/international-applicants/english-language-requirements
Experience: I got it waived because I did my masters in at the University of Glasgow.

Thank you so much for this! I will share this with the Department for sure.
Original post by anoncb
Hey! I also got offer for DPhil in Population Health. Did you receive your offer and studentship together?

Congratulations! Yes, the studentship came with the offer they sent about two weeks ago.
Reply 51
Congratulations! Yes, the studentship came with the offer they sent about two weeks ago.

Ah I see, thanks. Congrats to you too!
For anyone who has already received their college offer, was that as a result of the college being tied to funding?
Original post by AnImaginativeID
For anyone who has already received their college offer, was that as a result of the college being tied to funding?

For me not
What is the offer??
Original post by JMarlb
I really don't want to sound cool, I want to get a nice degree, but I guess that's out of the question. I swear this has to be worse than getting rejected, but maybe I am simply not cut for academia.
Reply 55
Original post by asargi15
What is the offer??

A 16 out of 20 for the average of my honours years. I’m at St Andrews so grades are different than other schools. It’s extremely unlikely for me to get there from a 15.7.
Original post by JMarlb
A 16 out of 20 for the average of my honours years. I’m at St Andrews so grades are different than other schools. It’s extremely unlikely for me to get there from a 15.7.

Have you tried talking to your department about your grading system? Did they just tell you to suck it up?
Reply 57
Original post by icegates
Have you tried talking to your department about your grading system? Did they just tell you to suck it up?

No. I spent the night crying and feeling sorry for myself. I am assuming that they are aware of how St Andrews grades and have looked at my transcripts to see this would be unlikely to be achieved. I’m taking it as a soft rejection.
Original post by JMarlb
No. I spent the night crying and feeling sorry for myself. I am assuming that they are aware of how St Andrews grades and have looked at my transcripts to see this would be unlikely to be achieved. I’m taking it as a soft rejection.

Perhaps, but it wouldn't hurt if you went and clarified their intention. I wouldn't want to base all that off speculation and if they confirm with you, at least it's closure. Up to you of course, just trying to help
Original post by JMarlb

Try getting in touch with your department to explain how this grade is unlikely to be achieved by you at this rate. A position from them would clarify their intentions with your application in the least.
Personally, I find it weird for them to 'soft reject' you while you sit on an offer with 'impossible' conditions. They could just offer it to someone else instead.
Well, that's how I see the situation. It's my first time applying and I'm an international student, so I don't fully understand UK Universities' manners.
Wish you the best of luck and I hope this is easy to be sorted now that you have an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending