The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Postgraduate Offer Holders 2023

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AnImaginativeID
Given all the courses only require a 2i, I really can't forsee any requiring a 1st - I think it's just a more competitive grade for applicants to have already achieved/ be working at. Potentially for American students or others from systems with a GPA it might be more common but in those systems it's usually hard to swing your GPA massively by final year without really bombing some classes, therefore if you have someone working at the first class equivalent in their penultimate semester it would make sense for that to be the offer as a drop to a 2i equivalent may indicate a number of Cs/ Ds/ Fs in the harder level courses which is not ideal for a potential grad student. Here though I know some universities (my own included), the final year counts for 2/3rds of our final classification meaning there's a lot more potential movement without necessarily anything going massively wrong, you can be working at a great standard throughout your degree but one slightly subpar performance in a final year essay or exam and your solid 1st can easily become a very high 2i (I've even seen drops to a 2ii before by some otherwise exceptional students). I don't think it's like undergraduate where they might give you an offer that's higher than the "typical" one.

Yeah I mean my course said a first or a high 2:1 and yes grades could change easily in final year due to weightings although touch wood for me :') but yeah from their undergraduate offers which tend to be extremely high (A* and such) I was apprehensive
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by lswren
Thank you both!!! <3 Will let you know how it goes

good luck :biggrin:
Original post by JMarlb
Hi! I got an offer for the MSt Greek/Roman History, and I am crying since I opened it because the conditions are pretty much impossible to meet. So, I guess I got an offer from Oxford, and that was the worst thing that happened in my academic career. I just cannot believe my luck, but yay?

never say never ! having the offer might motivate you (and us all) to reach our conditions. :smile:
Reply 63
Hey everyone, congrats on the offers! ill hopefully be studying for a DPhil in genetics at Jesus College!
Original post by lswren
Hi all,

I got an invite to interview for the Interdisciplinary Bioscience DTP this morning - not sure what to do, as I have been offered a place on the Clinical Neuro DPhil too. My worry is (of course) about funding, I couldn't complete the DPhil without funding but I'm not sure if having a potential 2nd offer would be better or worse in terms of securing a funded place?

Advice would be lovely <3 Do I do the interview?

Hey, are you an international student? and would you know if they are still sending out invites or have they already specified a schedule?
Original post by StalkersAdmirer
Hey guys, I am curious, has anyone been sent a criminal convictions declaration before his or her academic conditional requirements were met? Or does that only happen after?

I got my email about that yesterday. im yet to meet my conditions
Reply 66
Original post by n0objOb
Hey, are you an international student? and would you know if they are still sending out invites or have they already specified a schedule?

Hi! I'm not an international student, I assume they are still sending out invites as someone in the postgrad applicant thread said they got their interview weeks ago :smile:
Reply 67
Apologies for double posting, I got an email saying I wasn't entered into the "Graduate School Studentship Competition" - does anyone know what this means? Does it mean there's no chance of Oxford funding my DPhil? :frown:
Reply 68
Thank you! and DPhil
Original post by mianbao
Congratulations! Is it a DPhil in DPAG?
Reply 69
Hi everyone, congrats on your offers!!

I have an offer for MSc Refugee and Forced Migration Studies at Jesus College - no information about funding yet, but from what I understand it's sorted over summer :// seems very last minute
Reply 70
Original post by kooks897
Hey all! Congratulations on your offers. I’ve accepted offers for the MSc Refugee and Forced Migration Studies and Exeter College, though I’ve yet to hear about funding. Anyone else accepted to ODID here? ☺️

Congrats on the offer!! Just out of curiosity, is your offer also conditional on getting a 1st?
Reply 71
How long do we usually wait between informal offer email from Director of graduate studies and formal offer letter?
does oxford send rejection letters? or not
Original post by prisT
Congrats on the offer!! Just out of curiosity, is your offer also conditional on getting a 1st?

A fellow RFMS offer holder, hello! Congrats :smile: I'm international so my condition was to "achieve a final overall GPA of at least 3.8 out of 4.0 in your bachelor's degree"
Original post by JMarlb
No. I spent the night crying and feeling sorry for myself. I am assuming that they are aware of how St Andrews grades and have looked at my transcripts to see this would be unlikely to be achieved. I’m taking it as a soft rejection.

So it's unlikely to be achieved, but not impossible, correct?

I'm fairly certain Oxford doesn't give "soft rejections". They accepted you, so they do want you! If they didn't, they would have outright rejected you. Oxford playing a game like "he/she will never meet the conditions anyway so we can use this as a roundabout rejection" doesn't make any sense. You definitely should talk to your department at St. Andrews and/or the admissions offices at Oxford about the requirements if you truly think they're near-impossible to achieve.
Original post by Lilypu
How long do we usually wait between informal offer email from Director of graduate studies and formal offer letter?

I waited a week, while others have waited only a couple days - varies quite greatly.
Reply 76
Does anyone know how people are considered for the automatic university funding? e.g. if you didn't receive funding from college/department, is there a way of knowing which university scholarships you've been considered for?
Reply 77
Original post by saaa2
Hey everyone, congrats on the offers! ill hopefully be studying for a DPhil in genetics at Jesus College!

Congrats! I received an offer for the DPhil in Engineering Science, and also got offered a place at Jesus College. Haven´t heard anything about funding yet though
Reply 78
Original post by sjaaa
Congrats! I received an offer for the DPhil in Engineering Science, and also got offered a place at Jesus College. Haven´t heard anything about funding yet though

Amazing, congrats!! Have you selected preferences for accommodation btw?
Reply 79
Original post by MerryMedievalist
So it's unlikely to be achieved, but not impossible, correct?

I'm fairly certain Oxford doesn't give "soft rejections". They accepted you, so they do want you! If they didn't, they would have outright rejected you. Oxford playing a game like "he/she will never meet the conditions anyway so we can use this as a roundabout rejection" doesn't make any sense. You definitely should talk to your department at St. Andrews and/or the admissions offices at Oxford about the requirements if you truly think they're near-impossible to achieve.

So, I would have to get just below 95% on my two remaining modules to meet the conditions academically, which is not impossible, but extremely unlikely. I am not a phenomenal exam taker, and while those grades are not beyond the realm of possibility for my coursework, I am confident I will not achieve them on exams, which are 40% and 50% of my module grades. Alas, I am likely to be 0.3% short of the offer mark. My advisor told me to do my best and, when the time comes, write them a letter along with my results and see how it goes. He also mentioned that I have a distinction on my dissertation and that my work is solid, so if they were rigid to the point of not working with what I have to offer, maybe I would be happier somewhere else. He also said that my work is excellent and I will have a choice of very good places to go, so that made me a bit less upset. Bearing in mind that my grades are slightly short because of a tragedy module in the first year of honours. Now I need to consider alternative places while I wait to see how things will play, I guess.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending