The Student Room Group

Year 12 work experience for Journalism?

I'm currently in year 12, studying history, politics and sociology. Im thinking of pursuing a career in journalism in the future and potentially enrolling in a media and communications course at uni. In the summer term im expected to do a week of work experience, but im not exactly sure what to do. If anyone has any ideas or tips, they would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by _lao
I'm currently in year 12, studying history, politics and sociology. Im thinking of pursuing a career in journalism in the future and potentially enrolling in a media and communications course at uni. In the summer term im expected to do a week of work experience, but im not exactly sure what to do. If anyone has any ideas or tips, they would be greatly appreciated!

Hello @_lao, I have just graduated from the University of Salford and have a degree in Broadcast Journalism. It is great to see that you are interested in going down this career path. In terms of the work experience, that is a great idea to boost your CV and gain some experience before University, there is so many different jobs in the world of journalism but I would recommend picking whatever you are interested in the most, whether that is radio, tv, article writing or something else, there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to gaining the experience. All experience is valuable.

You also mentioned that you were thinking of potentially enrolling in a media and communications course which is great, just thought I would draw your attention to the fact that many universities do offer Journalism as a course and it is the perfect course to set you up for a career in journalism (as I am sure you can imagine).

Feel free to check out the journalism courses that we offer on our University website (https://www.salford.ac.uk/search?query=journalism)

I really did enjoy studying journalism and hope you continue to pursue this dream.

Hope this helps
Matthew
University of Salford Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending