The Student Room Group

A-levels for History at uni

I am not sure whether I want to do history or geography at university. I am deciding my a-levels now and I’m thinking history, geography, politics.

I’m considering history at Oxbridge, so is this subject combination seen as weak as opposed to people who do English lit/languages? Would I be at a disadvantage?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by User8810
I am not sure whether I want to do history or geography at university. I am deciding my a-levels now and I’m thinking history, geography, politics.

I’m considering history at Oxbridge, so is this subject combination seen as weak as opposed to people who do English lit/languages? Would I be at a disadvantage?

Those subjects sound good to me.
Double check the courses on unis websites to see if there's any specific subjects that they require.
Id imagine history/geography would be required to do history/geography at uni. But other than that i'm assuming they might just require certain grades to get in (e.g. BBB or something).

Heya!
I would recommend looking at entry requirements on the course's website and seeing what they say regarding alvls. I think you should be fine with your choice but double-checking will do no harm :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 3
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
I would recommend looking at entry requirements on the course's website and seeing what they say regarding alvls. I think you should be fine with your choice but double-checking will do no harm :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

I’ve checked and it says only history is “recommended” so that means any other subject is fine. I was just wondering if, when picking between two candidates, they would prefer someone with English Lit.
I’ve checked and it says only history is “recommended” so that means any other subject is fine. I was just wondering if, when picking between two candidates, they would prefer someone with English Lit.

Apart from history being recommended- If any other subject is fine, then they shouldnt prefer certain subjects over others. Its more important to get the grades. So pick whichever you prefer and think you will get the highest grade in.
If you prefer politics over english lit and you think that you will get a better grade in it, then pick politics.

Heya!
As stated above by Emma, they wouldn't pick someone over just because they have english lit so don't worry you still stand a strong chance, pick subjects you feel confident in :h: For Oxbridge what is important is getting good grades and doing well in interviews or any admissions test.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Hi OP, it's hard to say what tutors will 'prefer' as each have their own preferences for students. However, I personally don't think that doing English Lit would be of particular benefit over Geography in the eyes of tutors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending