The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL Computer Science

Hi there, just wondering if anybody is doing CompSci at KCL or is currently holding offers or considering going there. Would like to chat to somebody on MSN if possible to get a general opinion of the place. I will be attending the Visit Day but I find them very misleading in terms of getting a realistic perception of the place. :smile:

Specifically I'm looking for information on the actual course structure, the accomodation, the night life, careers, what the labs are like, the lecturers, the communication between lecturers/tutors and yourself and generally how you're finding it yourself.

Thanks a bunch,
Just ask away. :smile:

I'm in the second year, studying Physics with Computer Science. :smile:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
I got the introduction pack today which was toned quite snooty... "we've favourably considered your application..." Which I had a giggle at. Anyway, bar my offer (ABB or AAC exc Gen Studies) and some books to do with Accomodation/Finance they've not included anything in the pack to do with the actual course or Open Days. I thought they would have sent me a course booklet and at least some indication as to when the Open Days are, ho hum. Maybe you know about this or were in the same position?

I wanted to know the following stuff, would be grateful if you could assist:
Which accomodation is closest to CompSci? I don't really fancy travelling silly amounts after I've woken up (dead to the world in the mornings). Also what about ethernet in the rooms? Actual size of the rooms and level of decentness? (I liked the look of the apartments).

Are the labs swanky or generally old looking? Do CompSci people have 24/7 access to them, are they in the same place as where the lectures are held?

What's the nightlife like near the surrounding accomodations? is there any considered "student centres"?

Are heads of CompSci career orientated? CompSci student webrings/emails regarding possible placements/jobfairs and seminars? What's the extra-curricular communication like between teacher/pupil? (I've tried to find stuff on the net via google, but it really seems like a ghost course :/). In a previous post someone explained how a lot of the lecturers are foreign and English is not their first language, does this create communication problems?

Quite a lot, sorry to over burden you! :tongue:
Last of all though, your own perception of the place? Any tips and stuff like that?

Thanks a bunch,
The closest places to the Strand campus are Stamford Street Apartments and the intercollegiate halls.

The Strand campus is not open 24 hours, so unfortunately the labs aren't either... I believe they generally close at 7pm. That said, the newest labs feature P4 2.8ghz with 512MB of RAm and 15" TFTs. Not bad. Even the older labs have P4 2.4s with 512MB of RAM and 17" TFTs. If you do need access to your files/workspace, you can SSH into the main computer science server from home, which i do quite regularly tbh. There's really very little need for me to even go in. :tongue:

Nightlife in london is absolutely awesome... as long as you avoid the fridays and saturdays, most places in london run student nights and it's not too expensive. The Waterfront bar is the KCL student union bar on the strand and is probably the best union bar in london. That also applies to Tutu's, the union nightclub which is a great night out and offers a cheap alternative for fridays and saturdays (most clubs in london are about £10+ to get in on a weekend :redface:). London is the best city in the UK for nightlife - fact. There's so much to do, even if you don't like clubbing you can always go see bands, comedy nights, jazz, bowling, cinema, go see a west end show (last minute or matinée tickets are rather cheap sometimes :wink:).

The comp sci lecturers are pretty good. They know their stuff and they covey it well. I'd recommend always doing background reading on a particular course and practicing code etc at home... you can't just expect to go to lectures and for your brain to absorb all the information. That's just me though.

King's College London was on the whole generally pretty underrated for quite some time... it seems to be getting back on track though.

Try visiting http://www.dcs.kcl.ac.uk

On the whole, I'm really enjoying my time at King's, and despite choosing it in rather a hurry through clearing (I missed all my offers... applied to some places i saw through clearing, and in the end had a choice of Kings or Manchester) i'm really pleased with how everything has turned out, and although messing up my a-levels (compared to what i was predicted/should have got if i had put the work in...) i wouldn't want to go anywhere else now.

:smile:
Reply 4
Hey, i got that same letter with the "We favourably considered your position" but i didnt have any details about open days or anything, i rang up yday and got told that the lady had sent out 170 information packs about something lol so you should get a pack aswell, hopefully with the info you were looking for.
Reply 5
That's great dazmanultra, thanks for a very informative reply. Shall give you some rep!

v130387 is KCL a possibility for you? I really like the idea of studying in London and KCL has a good rep overall as a uni, but I'm under the impression that it isn't one of the stronger unis for CompSci.
Reply 6
i went to notts open today and must i say it impressed me.... its so nice, i would like to go to KCL as its in london but i havent had a look at the dept yet.
Reply 7
v130387
i went to notts open today and must i say it impressed me.... its so nice, i would like to go to KCL as its in london but i havent had a look at the dept yet.

Recieved my letter v130387 basically inviting me to an Open Day. What about you?
Reply 8
Yeah, got it aswell....
Going on 23rd Feb

Latest