The Student Room Group

Oxford 2024 DPhils (Law & Socio-legal)/BCL/MSCs/MJUR/MPhil/MLF Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous #5
Are you sure these are interviews for MPhil Law, and not Socio-Legal?

Have you heard of interviews for DPhil Law in this cycle?

Since you are in Oxford, can you please share what you know about the selection criteria for
MPhil Law
DPhil Law

Thank you.

Yeah, so basically the 'family law/medical group' have decided to interview all applicants that they are interested in accepting this year, so if you haven't received an interview invite yet, and your DPhil/MPhil proposal is in the areas of family or medical law, you have likely been rejected. I'm not sure whether I've been rejected, as my proposal overlaps with criminal, family and international human rights, so I may have been rejected, or it may just have been moved to a different 'group' (as it is only the family/medical law group conducting interviews).

I'm not really sure about the selection criteria tbh. All I know is that your proposal will go before a 'panel' and they'll decide whether your research is original, and whether they can accommodate you in terms of expertise and staffing levels.

Somebody told me that they use a points based system, which they also use when allocating scholarships, but not entirely sure whether this is correct and, if so, how it works in practice.
Original post by oxstudent
Yeah, so basically the 'family law/medical group' have decided to interview all applicants that they are interested in accepting this year, so if you haven't received an interview invite yet, and your DPhil/MPhil proposal is in the areas of family or medical law, you have likely been rejected. I'm not sure whether I've been rejected, as my proposal overlaps with criminal, family and international human rights, so I may have been rejected, or it may just have been moved to a different 'group' (as it is only the family/medical law group conducting interviews).

I'm not really sure about the selection criteria tbh. All I know is that your proposal will go before a 'panel' and they'll decide whether your research is original, and whether they can accommodate you in terms of expertise and staffing levels.

Somebody told me that they use a points based system, which they also use when allocating scholarships, but not entirely sure whether this is correct and, if so, how it works in practice.
So, DPhil Law is doing interviews.... has anyone had a DPhil Law interview yet? My topic deals with medical law and I have heard nothing.
Are they only interviewing for mphil law (family/ medical group) or also dphil law (family/ medical group)?
Original post by Anonymous #6
Are they only interviewing for mphil law (family/ medical group) or also dphil law (family/ medical group)?
They're interviewing for both.
Original post by AngelatheCat
So, DPhil Law is doing interviews.... has anyone had a DPhil Law interview yet? My topic deals with medical law and I have heard nothing.
I'd just wait and see. We should all hopefully find out in a couple of weeks. Best to try and put it to the back of your mind until then.
When did the invites for interviews start going out for DPhil Law?
Yeah. Bit of a pipedream, besides that.
When did the invites for interviews start going out for DPhil Law?
Only a few days ago, on 27th February, so maybe you'll get one next week. Alternatively, they could have moved your proposal elsewhere, if there is potential for overlap.
Only a few days ago, on 27th February, so maybe you'll get one next week. Alternatively, they could have moved your proposal elsewhere, if there is potential for overlap.
My proposal deals with bioethics, too. Not sure if that counts as an overlap. Do they tend to send out interviews over a week or two or does it all happen within the span of a few days? No action on my button, as an aside.
My proposal deals with bioethics, too. Not sure if that counts as an overlap. Do they tend to send out interviews over a week or two or does it all happen within the span of a few days? No action on my button, as an aside.
I have no idea, all I know if this.

(1) The family law/medical group are interviewing MPhil/DPhil applicants.

(2) A number of my friends (both MPhil and DPhil Law applicants) whose proposals are in either family or medical law have been invited for an interview and most of the invitations were sent out on 27th February (for interviews being held on 5th March).

That's all I know, so all we can do is hope. I'm in the same boat as you, my proposal is primarily in children's rights (but with potential overlap in criminal/international human rights), so it has either been rejected or moved. We probably won't find out until at least mid-March.
Well, I am going to be preposterously optimistic and say that those called for interviews were "cusp" decisions - and maybe we will be accepted outright. Anyway, I will let you know if anything changes on my end. "May the odds be ever in your favor." (seems appropriate)
Well, I am going to be preposterously optimistic and say that those called for interviews were "cusp" decisions - and maybe we will be accepted outright. Anyway, I will let you know if anything changes on my end. "May the odds be ever in your favor." (seems appropriate)
Yeah, but even then, there's still the process of securing funding, etc. So I'm just going to focus on the BCL and forget about the whole idea for now.

Also I'd be inclined to dismiss any BS magic button theories on here. My button never disappeared at all before I was made an offer for the BCL lol. It's easy to caught up in all the dramatics, etc. Let's just wait and see. Fingers crossed for us both.

Thanks for sharing these insights.

Do you know if there is a pre-screen stage before the "panel"? And if so what the pre-screen entails?

Thanks.
Thanks for sharing these insights.

Do you know if there is a pre-screen stage before the "panel"? And if so what the pre-screen entails?

Thanks.

Like I said above, I really don't know anything else about the process, sorry.
Like I said above, I really don't know anything else about the process, sorry.
Thanks for what you did share. Success to us all!
Thanks for what you did share. Success to us all!
No problem! Good luck. 😁
Reply 36
Did anyone apply to the MSc in International Human Rights Law?
I have seen elsewhere that Sociolegal decisions are out....
Original post by Anonymous #2
I have seen elsewhere that Sociolegal decisions are out....
How? Pretty sure they were still interviewing yesterday? That is so early.
How? Pretty sure they were still interviewing yesterday? That is so early.
You can have a look here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7434082&page=4

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending