The Student Room Group

2nd year uni exams revision

My uni exams start on 22 May but I still have 2 weeks worth of lectures to go through after May because my uni hasn't finished teaching. When do uni students usually start revision for May exams?
There's still 2 months but I'm not sure if I have left it too late or is it still early?

I don't have to review autumn semester as I have covered and done those exams before. I only have spring semester to revise for so when do others start revising?
Original post by Anonymous
My uni exams start on 22 May but I still have 2 weeks worth of lectures to go through after May because my uni hasn't finished teaching. When do uni students usually start revision for May exams?
There's still 2 months but I'm not sure if I have left it too late or is it still early?

I don't have to review autumn semester as I have covered and done those exams before. I only have spring semester to revise for so when do others start revising?

The key material being tested would be the material in the lecture notes and seminars. If you have read some of the key papers mentioned in your unit outline, so much the better.

Uni students are renowned for procrastinating, so I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of them left it until 2 weeks before the exam. Don't do this.
A high achieving student would have revised on a continual and periodic basis. See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukLnPbIffxE
https://aliabdaal.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-studying-for-exams/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7o09a7t4RA
(As you can tell, I am a fan.)

A month before the exam is usually good enough for one module. However, 2 months prior would give you enough time to internalise the material (as opposed to stressful cramming) as well as prep time. Most would start revising during Easter break.
(You sometimes get the odd friend who is stressing over everything and keeps asking you to come over to help with revision the night before the exam. Fun times.)

One of the things that is on the back of my mind is whether your lecturer will be specifying which topics that the exam paper will cover (all exam papers should already have been written up by now). If your lecturer will be pointing out which topics you will be covering, doing extra revision would be a bit of a waste (albeit a good "waste" of time). I would check with each lecturer whether they would be pointing out which topics would be on the paper; if they say yes, I would wait until the last lecture; if no, I would just start with revision.
The key material being tested would be the material in the lecture notes and seminars. If you have read some of the key papers mentioned in your unit outline, so much the better.

Uni students are renowned for procrastinating, so I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of them left it until 2 weeks before the exam. Don't do this.
A high achieving student would have revised on a continual and periodic basis. See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukLnPbIffxE
https://aliabdaal.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-studying-for-exams/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7o09a7t4RA
(As you can tell, I am a fan.)

A month before the exam is usually good enough for one module. However, 2 months prior would give you enough time to internalise the material (as opposed to stressful cramming) as well as prep time. Most would start revising during Easter break.
(You sometimes get the odd friend who is stressing over everything and keeps asking you to come over to help with revision the night before the exam. Fun times.)

One of the things that is on the back of my mind is whether your lecturer will be specifying which topics that the exam paper will cover (all exam papers should already have been written up by now). If your lecturer will be pointing out which topics you will be covering, doing extra revision would be a bit of a waste (albeit a good "waste" of time). I would check with each lecturer whether they would be pointing out which topics would be on the paper; if they say yes, I would wait until the last lecture; if no, I would just start with revision.

Thank you for the reply. My lecturers do not specify what needs to be known for the exam so we have to revise everything. I have started revising now because 2 months should be enough time to cover material for 4 exams in depth.
Thank you for the reply. My lecturers do not specify what needs to be known for the exam so we have to revise everything. I have started revising now because 2 months should be enough time to cover material for 4 exams in depth.

OK, good luck.
Considering that you're doign 8 modules a year, I am guessing you're based in a top 10 uni for your subject. Those won't be easy.

Whilst I am at it, I might as well add that you should think about:

Study groups

Going through any practice calculations/pro formas as much as you can - if this applies to your subject

Take notes on any particular models mentioned

Practice essay plans in short periods of time e.g. 5 minutes - these work surprisingly well in the real thing

Look through the unit outline and look through the learning outcomes/specification in more detail

OK, good luck.
Considering that you're doign 8 modules a year, I am guessing you're based in a top 10 uni for your subject. Those won't be easy.

Whilst I am at it, I might as well add that you should think about:

Study groups

Going through any practice calculations/pro formas as much as you can - if this applies to your subject

Take notes on any particular models mentioned

Practice essay plans in short periods of time e.g. 5 minutes - these work surprisingly well in the real thing

Look through the unit outline and look through the learning outcomes/specification in more detail

Thank you, I actually have 9 modules a year which can become quite stressful and I go to a russell group so you're quite correct about that. Yes i actually do an accounting and finance degree so I have started to attempt past papers. Thank you for all your help.

Hi there,
I would recommend starting as soon as possible especially if you do not know what you will be tested on. It can decrease stress closer to the exams and help ensure that you are as prepared as possible.

I hope this helps,

Eleanor F
Student Ambassador
It's never too early to start if you want to make sure you cover everything. Even if you haven't covered all the content in lectures you could always look at the earlier topics, do any problem sheets you didn't do or any relevant exam questions. I personally didn't start too much before my January exams, 2 months is definitely plenty.

Hi anon!

Like others have mentioned people start revising when it best suits them. I mean the best time is as soon as possible, however, I understand that there can be other assignments and essays that interfere with exam revision.
Most students begin to revise once the Easter holidays start purely because most of their assignments and essays have already been submitted.
Like you said, you still have some lectures that are to be delivered. You may be best trying to get through as many lectures as you can now and then you would have less left to revise when the new content will come through.

I think 2 months would build a good foundation for you to learn the content and then go over it again so that it stays in your mind longer.
It is really important to have an effective revision strategy to help you retain the lecture content which can be quite content heavy. Have you thought about what the most effective way to revise is for you?

I hope this has been helpful!
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions :smile:
Aaliya ~ 4th year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield
Thank you everyone for your replies, i really appreciate it. I started revising last week and hopefully that leaves me enough time to get through all the content. Fortunately for one of my modules which is 20 credits we have been given a few hints so I kind of have some direction there.
Thank you everyone for your replies, i really appreciate it. I started revising last week and hopefully that leaves me enough time to get through all the content. Fortunately for one of my modules which is 20 credits we have been given a few hints so I kind of have some direction there.

Hey!

As others have said, it is never too early to start revising, just remember that everyone has different ways of revising so don't feel pressured if others in your cohort are taking a completely different approach! Just remember to cover the parts you are currently revising closer to the exam as well as 2 months is a long time to try and remember every detail.

Good luck with them all!

- Luke :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Hello,

Exams are approaching once again after another semester. My advice would be to start revising anyways, there's nothing like too early when it comes to preparing for an exam but there is definitely something like too late. Even as you only have to revise for spring semester, doesn't mean that the work is smaller or less difficult, you should adequately prepare for all your exams. Regarding the two months time left, whether it's too late, just the right time or more than enough time depends on what course you are doing, what year and how effective your study timetable is.

If you feel you'd do best by studying closer to the exam date, then that's okay but you should endeavor to read some material related to your module, lecture slides, seminar questions, etc.

Remember, do not procrastinate as it would not affect anyone but yourself. Hope this helps. Goodluck in your upcoming exams!

Benedicta,
University of Sunderland Student Ambassador.

Hello,

Greetings! Hope you are doing well.

The timing of when students start revising for exams can vary depending on personal preferences and study habits. However, two months is generally considered a sufficient amount of time to begin revising for May exams.

It's important to make a study schedule and start planning your revision as soon as possible. This will give you enough time to review all of the material, identify areas where you need more practice or clarification, and develop effective study strategies.

If you have already covered and done the exams for the autumn semester, you may have an advantage in terms of having a head start on revision for the spring semester. However, it's still important to review and refresh your knowledge of earlier material, as it may be relevant to later topics.

In summary, it's recommended that you start revising as soon as possible, but two months before the exam date should give you enough time to adequately prepare. It's important to develop a study schedule, identify your strengths and weaknesses, and practice regularly to ensure a successful outcome.

Warm Regards,
Megha Sharma
Student Ambassador
MSc Business Analytics
Coventry University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending