The Student Room Group

Does getting a british passport change my student finance from EU to UK

I would like to know if getting a British passport could help me switch to the UK rules in other to access maintenance loans. I am a first-year student who has been put on an EU route. I am told I can not access the maintenance loan due to my not having ILR before the commencement of the course. I only started the course after getting my ILR( it was 21
days delay) I must attest that it is not easy, especially after exhausting all my savings on fuel to enable me to get to uni and with the current cost of living crisis.
I am thinking of applying for naturalisation and would like to know if that could change my circumstance to allow me access maintenance loan.
Original post by Niibankable
I would like to know if getting a British passport could help me switch to the UK rules in other to access maintenance loans. I am a first-year student who has been put on an EU route. I am told I can not access the maintenance loan due to my not having ILR before the commencement of the course. I only started the course after getting my ILR( it was 21
days delay) I must attest that it is not easy, especially after exhausting all my savings on fuel to enable me to get to uni and with the current cost of living crisis.
I am thinking of applying for naturalisation and would like to know if that could change my circumstance to allow me access maintenance loan.

Hi there, what date was your ILR status granted? What nationality are you? Thanks, Karen
Thanks for your reply Karen. My ILR was issued on the 21/09/22 and a Ghanaian. SFE only paid the tuition because I had a uk national as a spouse. She's also in higher education. I couldn't access social work bursary as I was classified as an eu spouse. If the sfe rep had explained all of this to me I don't think I would have gone ahead with the course. I believe there should be a way around this.

I see no reason y I have restart a different course to be eligible for funding. These rules should be made to accommodate circumstances like mine.
Thanks for your reply Karen. My ILR was issued on the 21/09/22 and a Ghanaian. SFE only paid the tuition because I had a uk national as a spouse. She's also in higher education. I couldn't access social work bursary as I was classified as an eu spouse. If the sfe rep had explained all of this to me I don't think I would have gone ahead with the course. I believe there should be a way around this.

I see no reason y I have restart a different course to be eligible for funding. These rules should be made to accommodate circumstances like mine.

Unfortunately based on this information you wouldn't be eligible to apply for Maintenance Loan for the duration of your course. Thanks, Karen
I would like to know if I can stop and reapply for the same course in September 2023 without the need for me to change what am currently studying?
I would like to know if I can stop and reapply for the same course in September 2023 without the need for me to change what am currently studying?

Hi there,

If you suspend your course and then restart this in September then you'd still be classed as a returning student and not a new student.

Thanks, Jason
I would like to know if I ask the university to take me off the course and restart as a fresh student in September 2023. Can I read the same course again at the same university.

I have completed will finish my level 4 in May. I want to know if I restart again in September 2023 as in restart the level 4 again as a fresh student. Would that allow me access both tuition fee and maintenance loan? I am starting the same course at the same university as a fresh student.
I would like to know if I ask the university to take me off the course and restart as a fresh student in September 2023. Can I read the same course again at the same university.

I have completed will finish my level 4 in May. I want to know if I restart again in September 2023 as in restart the level 4 again as a fresh student. Would that allow me access both tuition fee and maintenance loan? I am starting the same course at the same university as a fresh student.

If you are planning to withdraw from your course your university would be required to notify us of this for the team to review.
The standard way we calculate funding is as follows:
- Students are entitled to funding for their course duration.
- We then award students an additional year of funding, should they need to repeat or change their course.
- We then take any previous study into consideration and this then gives a student their entitlement available for their course.
If there were mitigating circumstances as to why you didn't complete your previous course then you can apply for what is called Compelling Personal Reasons.
More information on this can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

I would advise to speak with your university. Thanks, Karen
Thanks for your advise.

I have engaged my university about my situation.

They responded to say I can complete my level 4 and withdraw from the course and then reapply thru ucas as a level 5 student and that would enable me access both tuition and maintenance loan. Sfe will check my eligibility again as this time around my ILR would have been issues before the start of my level 5 as a new student.

Could you plz confirm if this info is right. Thanks
Thanks for your advise.

I have engaged my university about my situation.

They responded to say I can complete my level 4 and withdraw from the course and then reapply thru ucas as a level 5 student and that would enable me access both tuition and maintenance loan. Sfe will check my eligibility again as this time around my ILR would have been issues before the start of my level 5 as a new student.

Could you plz confirm if this info is right. Thanks

Hi there,

Yes, this sounds correct. Can you please confirm when your next academic year begins, is it this September or later?

Thanks, Graeme
It will commence this September 2023.
It will commence this September 2023.

Okay, thanks - in this case once your 22/23 application shows as withdrawn you can then re-apply as a new student for the 23/24 year.

To do this your university needs to send us a Change of Circumstances (COC) confirming the withdrawal and we'll then update your application. It's definitely worth asking them when they plan to do this, just so you know.

Thanks, Graeme
They have confirmed to me once am able to complete my assignments by the end of July, they can take me off the course where I will then put in a new application for the 2023/2024 academic year through ucas as a fresh student entering at level 5.

That's what am currently working towards.

Thanks.
I would also like to know, since my spouse is also in higher education would her maintenance be considered as household income?
I would also like to know, since my spouse is also in higher education would her maintenance be considered as household income?

We'll ask for your spouse's 21/22 income. So, if she didn't get any Maintenance Loan in that year she doesn't need to declare this.

Thanks, Graeme
Thanks
Thanks

You're welcome - if you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending