The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Uni Clearing

Hi
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by User0123564
Hi, I have been unsuccessful with application for Uni Manchester for Law, I was predicted the requirements and felt like i had a really good personal statement, however they said other applicants had stronger personal statements, what should I do, do you think there will be clearing spaces and should I appeal the decision also I have been accepted into Liverpool and Salford are they good and which ones are good, thanks

1. Clearing actually opens in early July; I assume you're asking about Clearing spaced which were still available on results day? Last year, Manchester had 136 courses in Clearing on results day (source), although I don't know is Law was amongst them.

2. You cannot appeal the decision simply because you disagree with it. Your only grounds for an appeal would be if you believe that their has been a procedural irregularity (i.e. they have not followed the process correctly in making their decision).

3. You say that you have been "accepted" into both Liverpool and Salford. Do you mean that you have conditional offers from each? If you have two offers, presumably you plan to use one as your firm and the other as your insurance. Which do you prefer? What are the grade requirements of the conditional offers?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Hi, I have been unsuccessful with application for Uni Manchester for Law, I was predicted the requirements and felt like i had a really good personal statement, however they said other applicants had stronger personal statements, what should I do, do you think there will be clearing spaces and should I appeal the decision also I have been accepted into Liverpool and Salford are they good and which ones are good, thanks

Hi @User0123564,

First of all, I'm really sorry you didn't get into your first choice - the process can be really hard! Universities only have a certain amount of places for each course, so meeting the entry requirements isn't always enough - it will all depend on the pool of applicants and what they're looking for.

As DataVenia has said above, you can't know if Manchester will have clearing places - they might, but they might not. Ultimately, it comes down to what do you want to do?

Are Salford and Liverpool places you can see yourself? Have you visited the universities, gone to course talks and spoken with current students? If not, I'd really recommend it - it can be a good way to see where is right for you. Most universities will have offer holder days coming up, so do take advantage of these!

Once you have visited, you could then revisit your options - can you see yourself studying Law at either Salford or Liverpool? If not, what was missing for you and could clearing be an option for you?

All the best with your decision making :smile:

Rowan
- University of Salford Rep
Hi Rowan, thank you for the reply, I have booked open days for both unis so hope to go there, I’m just not sure where to go because I really wanted to go Manchester Uni and worked really hard on predicted grade exams, I have got places at Liverpool, Salford and Man Met but I’m leaning towards Liverpool and Salford. I will try and phone the Uni up and see if they have clearing and will check out other open days, thank you for the reply

Original post by University of Salford
Hi @User0123564,

First of all, I'm really sorry you didn't get into your first choice - the process can be really hard! Universities only have a certain amount of places for each course, so meeting the entry requirements isn't always enough - it will all depend on the pool of applicants and what they're looking for.

As DataVenia has said above, you can't know if Manchester will have clearing places - they might, but they might not. Ultimately, it comes down to what do you want to do?

Are Salford and Liverpool places you can see yourself? Have you visited the universities, gone to course talks and spoken with current students? If not, I'd really recommend it - it can be a good way to see where is right for you. Most universities will have offer holder days coming up, so do take advantage of these!

Once you have visited, you could then revisit your options - can you see yourself studying Law at either Salford or Liverpool? If not, what was missing for you and could clearing be an option for you?

All the best with your decision making :smile:

Rowan
- University of Salford Rep
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi Data Venia, regarding your appeal statement, I have a reason and just wanted to know if it’s worth it and how likely I am to get a place.

I have condition offers to both uni, but not sure which ones to firm yet, the entry requirements are standard both ABB, I have booked open days and hope to get a better understanding as to which one to go for, thanks for the reply.

Original post by DataVenia
1. Clearing actually opens in early July; I assume you're asking about Clearing spaced which were still available on results day? Last year, Manchester had 136 courses in Clearing on results day (source), although I don't know is Law was amongst them.

2. You cannot appeal the decision simply because you disagree with it. Your only grounds for an appeal would be if you believe that their has been a procedural irregularity (i.e. they have not followed the process correctly in making their decision).

3. You say that you have been "accepted" into both Liverpool and Salford. Do you mean that you have conditional offers from each? If you have two offers, presumably you plan to use one as your firm and the other as your insurance. Which do you prefer? What are the grade requirements of the conditional offers?
Hi Data Venia, regarding your appeal statement, I have a reason and just wanted to know if it’s worth it and how likely I am to get a place.

I would imagine that very few appeals are successful (i.e. the uni's decision changes from "no offer" to "conditional offer").

However the likelihood of a successful appeal would very much depend on the strength of your grounds for the appeal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending