The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

PWP UCL October 2022 Entry

Hey guys!

Anyone else applied to the PWP course at UCL for later this year? Would be great to keep each other updated and just give some general support! I’m also keen to know of other people’s backgrounds, experiences and which services they applied to :smile:

Hope to hear from y’all soon!! X

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mari.l
Hey guys!

Anyone else applied to the PWP course at UCL for later this year? Would be great to keep each other updated and just give some general support! I’m also keen to know of other people’s backgrounds, experiences and which services they applied to :smile:

Hello! I have applied - second time around as I applied last year but was unsuccessful! :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by poppyfields9
Hello! I have applied - second time around as I applied last year but was unsuccessful! :smile:

Best of luck to you this time! What’s your background and what services did you apply to?
Original post by mari.l
Best of luck to you this time! What’s your background and what services did you apply to?

I applied to Haringey and Barnet&Enfield - how about you?
I'm in the process of (hopefully) a career change - I currently work in the NHS in a mental health trust but not a clinical role, and I started a MSc in Psychology conversion last year but my undergrad was completely different. What's your background? :smile:
Reply 4
I applied to Haringey and Barnet&Enfield - how about you?
I'm in the process of (hopefully) a career change - I currently work in the NHS in a mental health trust but not a clinical role, and I started a MSc in Psychology conversion last year but my undergrad was completely different. What's your background? :smile:

I’ve applied to Hammersmith and Fulham as my first preference, and Kensington and Chelsea as my second! I’m also working within NHS as an AP and also in a private practice where I’m working with a client. Did my BSc in Psychology and now doing my MSc in Psychological Therapies! I’m super nervous though- from what I’ve heard people with varying levels of experience have been both accepted/rejected in previous years.How did you find the process last year? I’m sure you’ll get in this year! Sounds like you’ve got great NHS experience
Original post by mari.l
I’ve applied to Hammersmith and Fulham as my first preference, and Kensington and Chelsea as my second! I’m also working within NHS as an AP and also in a private practice where I’m working with a client. Did my BSc in Psychology and now doing my MSc in Psychological Therapies! I’m super nervous though- from what I’ve heard people with varying levels of experience have been both accepted/rejected in previous years.How did you find the process last year? I’m sure you’ll get in this year! Sounds like you’ve got great NHS experience

Wow you've got a very strong background- definitely a great chance!! Is this your first year applying? It was quite interesting last year, they didn't get back to us until the middle of July I think, so it was quite a nerve-wracking experience, and some services get in touch faster than others which can add to the stress! It does seem hard to tell what their criteria is for acceptance, and it's a shame they can't provide individual feedback which would be so useful. Last year I hadn't even started an MSc and I also didn't work in mental health, so it's not surprising I didn't make the cut :biggrin:
Reply 6
Wow you've got a very strong background- definitely a great chance!! Is this your first year applying? It was quite interesting last year, they didn't get back to us until the middle of July I think, so it was quite a nerve-wracking experience, and some services get in touch faster than others which can add to the stress! It does seem hard to tell what their criteria is for acceptance, and it's a shame they can't provide individual feedback which would be so useful. Last year I hadn't even started an MSc and I also didn't work in mental health, so it's not surprising I didn't make the cut :biggrin:

Thank you!! I really appreciate that :’) it’s my first time, so if I don’t get in I won’t be too disappointed. I only submitted my references a few days ago and I’m already obsessing over what their response might be haha 🥲

I’m sure they’ll see that you’ve applied again though and really admire your persistence! Let’s keep each other updated if we hear back about anything :smile:
Hi both! A great idea to start this thread. I've applied to Southwark and Lewisham, and I'm a mature undergrad (also a career changer) just finishing up my psychology degree. I've been volunteering in mental health for 3 years on and off. Surprised they got back to people mid July last year would hope its earlier this year, as I've got a holiday in mid July lol. MSC in Psychological Therapies sounds very interesting! and you both sound like you have excellent backgrounds :smile: Good luck to us.
Reply 8
Original post by luckysnowflake
Hi both! A great idea to start this thread. I've applied to Southwark and Lewisham, and I'm a mature undergrad (also a career changer) just finishing up my psychology degree. I've been volunteering in mental health for 3 years on and off. Surprised they got back to people mid July last year would hope its earlier this year, as I've got a holiday in mid July lol. MSC in Psychological Therapies sounds very interesting! and you both sound like you have excellent backgrounds :smile: Good luck to us.

Hey! So nice to hear from another fellow applicant :smile: I’m in the same boat as you regarding holidays- I’ve got one booked from 10th-20th July. Fingers crossed we hear back sometime in June or at least get given enough notice to shuffle some things around! Best of luck to you too xx
Original post by mari.l
Hey guys!

Heyyy, I have also applied for the PWP role at UCL, thanks for making this thread. I have applied to Hounslow and Ealing service. I completed Bsc in Psychology last year and this is the first time I’ve applied. I have worked and volunteer in the mental health sector since the last four years. You guys have got brilliant experiences. I am super nervous as I do not have NHS experience.
Does anyone know how many students approx is UCL going to recruit?
Let’s keep eachother updated.
Original post by luckysnowflake

Hello fellow mature student! :smile: It was definitely mid July last year with interviews towards the end of July - but I suspect they are aware of lots of holidays taking place in July! From what I recall I believe SOME services may have been in touch late June for interviews in July, but it does vary wildly depending on the service. Fingers crossed we all hear something positive!
Original post by Anonymous
Heyyy, I have also applied for the PWP role at UCL, thanks for making this thread. I have applied to Hounslow and Ealing service. I completed Bsc in Psychology last year and this is the first time I’ve applied. I have worked and volunteer in the mental health sector since the last four years. You guys have got brilliant experiences. I am super nervous as I do not have NHS experience.

Hello! Don't worry about not having NHS experience - it's certainly not a requirement. And my NHS experience is completely administrative, which is pretty useless! :smile: I remember seeing something last year about the number of applicants vs number of places and I think overall its somewhere between 160-200? I could be wrong but that's the number I seem to remember.
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous

Heyy! It’s very lovely to keep seeing more and more fellow applicants popping up! Wow- 4 years of experience is certainly going to catch their attention :biggrin: Wishing you the best of luck! I really do hope we all get good news.

From what I’ve seen online there’s approx.14% offer rate, which is scarily low but still a chance!
Hi there, I’ve applied for this cohort too! I’m a qualified social worker but completed my undergrad in psychology in 2019. I did a professional placement year in IAPT in 2018.Quick question, do we need to apply to the nhs job adverts as well as the UCL course? The nhs trust I’ve applied for have not advertised the trainee PWP role yet online. Good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by FMorgan97
Hi there, I’ve applied for this cohort too! I’m a qualified social worker but completed my undergrad in psychology in 2019. I did a professional placement year in IAPT in 2018.Quick question, do we need to apply to the nhs job adverts as well as the UCL course? The nhs trust I’ve applied for have not advertised the trainee PWP role yet online. Good luck!

Hey! It’s lovely to meet you :smile: you’ve got great experience- they would be lucky to have you! Especially if you’ve already worked within IAPT. As far as I’m aware, all applications are through the UCL portal- I think the NHS advertisements just direct people to the UCL application. Good luck to you too!!
Hi everyone. It so nice to nice to be able to have access to this thread and hearing all of your experiences. I’ve also applied for the first time this year. I’ve completed my undergraduate degree last year and I’ve been volunteering at a children’s hospital school where I work with students with mental health difficulties. My first choice was Brent and my second was Westminster. I wish you all the best of luck!!!
Hiya!I’ve applied for Hillingdon and Harrow! I haven’t got much experience apart from BSc Psychology and a couple of years 1:1 TA roles working with Autistic children and doing mental health interventions with students. My previous career was in business development (ok some transferable skills here). Either way, no idea why I’m so hopeful 😆
Lovely to get in touch with like-minded people all anxiously waiting 😅
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 17
Original post by sarah_2000
Hi everyone. It so nice to nice to be able to have access to this thread and hearing all of your experiences. I’ve also applied for the first time this year. I’ve completed my undergraduate degree last year and I’ve been volunteering at a children’s hospital school where I work with students with mental health difficulties. My first choice was Brent and my second was Westminster. I wish you all the best of luck!!!

Really lovely to meet you! Your volunteering experience sounds really rewarding- especially as you’re working with young people :smile: Fingers crossed for us all!!
Reply 18
Original post by Turtle face 20
Hiya!I’ve applied for Hillingdon and Harrow! I haven’t got much experience apart from BSc Psychology and a couple of years 1:1 TA roles working with Autistic children and doing mental health interventions with students. My previous career was in business development (ok some transferable skills here). Either way, no idea why I’m so hopeful 😆
Lovely to get in touch with like-minded people all anxiously waiting 😅

Hey!! I think you have every reason to be hopeful. I also did some SEN TA work and I think that there are certainly a lot of transferable skills, especially with your work as you administered MH interventions! Young people are particularly vulnerable so I’d say you have a very good shot with your BSc and experience :smile:
Reply 19
Hey! I have applied! Does anyone know how long it will take for us to get a reply?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending