The Student Room Group

Hills Road Sixth Form - any thoughts or experiences?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by toothysmile
Yeah you should learn the syllabus yourself if you have a bad teacher but the larger problem is that some teachers are bad and we should hold bad teachers accountable, if teachers don't teach then whats the point of going to school if its just a huge waste of time, you would be better off self-studying. People go to school to get taught... If people held bad teaching accountable then teachers would get better at teaching and then everybody wins as teachers get better at teaching and students get better teachers...

To me this doesn't feel like a 'entitled private school attitude' but more like the teachers are bad and he wants to warn others about bad teaching... Also personal attacks don't make an argument more valid or make you more correct...

you have to self teach a levels anyway to some degree, because you have to practise over and over anyway and a teacher can't do that for you. we do hold bad teaching accountable. one of my classes has arguably one of the worst teachers in the school and trust me people are always quite rightly sending complaints, but in the mean time blaming them for your bad grades isn't going to change anything. allowing yourself to drop grades to prove an awful teacher is awful is insane. i agree some of the teaching is total garbage and i hate it, but you won't find most people spamming scathing reviews about the school 2 years after they leave for things that were in their control. this is an entitled private school attitude because he's taking absolutely no responsibility for his grades. do you think people at this school would come out with such high marks if they relied on the teaching? and bad teaching is a problem at nearly every school, it's not even unique to hills. I sympathise with people who find this school too much work, but in another comment this guy was bragging about how he found the workload easy and the content not that difficult so his review is just a massive cope lol
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by sandrasandi
because I've had most of the teachers he's talking about. and blaming them for his own failures is pretty cringe, if your teacher is terrible in sixth form you learn the stuff yourself, no way around it. he has the typical entitled private school attitude

Resorting to insults when you have nothing to respond to is a typical indicator of a lost argument. If you have a bad teacher who demoralises you, I'd like to see how you handle yourself. Sitting in front of a computer and typing furiously is absolutely nothing to going through it yourself. Did you go through it yourself?
I'll say it before and I said it again. The teachers I had were purely unprofessional, who failed to teach properly, who in front of the class said I would never succeed in my career aspiration ( a point also reiterated by my tutor more than once, and ultimately all of them turned out wrong when I passed the interview). Did your maths teacher do this? Did your Chemistry teacher make you do tests in Chemistry surgery and then disregarded your top grades when it suited them? Learning in this envoroment in the middle of a pandemic was impossible.
If I got bad grades in Hills Road, resat the exams in another place, and am now in a top-5 university in the UK for physics with first-class grades (A* basically) obtained repeatedly, in every assessment and year, it indeed shows that Hills Road has a critically inadequate standard of education. Maybe it improved after Covid, but my years were 2019-2021.
Sandra, first go and pass a Cambridge maths interview after being demoralised like that, then we can talk.
Original post by hypercolius
Resorting to insults when you have nothing to respond to is a typical indicator of a lost argument. If you have a bad teacher who demoralises you, I'd like to see how you handle yourself. Sitting in front of a computer and typing furiously is absolutely nothing to going through it yourself. Did you go through it yourself?
I'll say it before and I said it again. The teachers I had were purely unprofessional, who failed to teach properly, who in front of the class said I would never succeed in my career aspiration ( a point also reiterated by my tutor more than once, and ultimately all of them turned out wrong when I passed the interview). Did your maths teacher do this? Did your Chemistry teacher make you do tests in Chemistry surgery and then disregarded your top grades when it suited them? Learning in this envoroment in the middle of a pandemic was impossible.
If I got bad grades in Hills Road, resat the exams in another place, and am now in a top-5 university in the UK for physics with first-class grades (A* basically) obtained repeatedly, in every assessment and year, it indeed shows that Hills Road has a critically inadequate standard of education. Maybe it improved after Covid, but my years were 2019-2021.
Sandra, first go and pass a Cambridge maths interview after being demoralised like that, then we can talk.
how exactly did you "pass" the interview, did you get an offer? because how could you have gotten an offer when your first set of a level grades were your predicted grades and well below entry requirements lmao. and uni vs a level performance isn't really comparable, just accept you got bad grades in 6th form and move on with your life goddamn, aren't you like second year uni by now?
Original post by sandrasandi
you have to self teach a levels anyway to some degree, because you have to practise over and over anyway and a teacher can't do that for you. we do hold bad teaching accountable. one of my classes has arguably one of the worst teachers in the school and trust me people are always quite rightly sending complaints, but in the mean time blaming them for your bad grades isn't going to change anything. allowing yourself to drop grades to prove an awful teacher is awful is insane. i agree some of the teaching is total garbage and i hate it, but you won't find most people spamming scathing reviews about the school 2 years after they leave for things that were in their control. this is an entitled private school attitude because he's taking absolutely no responsibility for his grades. do you think people at this school would come out with such high marks if they relied on the teaching? and bad teaching is a problem at nearly every school, it's not even unique to hills. I sympathise with people who find this school too much work, but in another comment this guy was bragging about how he found the workload easy and the content not that difficult so his review is just a massive cope lol
if u think teaching bad there, jus wait til u get to university

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending