The Student Room Group

Academic Appeal

Hi

I failed to complete my final year for 21/22 because I did not submit work for one module on my august resits. I had mitigating circumstances for this august resit due to ongoing mental health condition (anxiety, depression and ADHD). However, during this period I ran out of medication while completing work for my last module, and I was unable to repeat my prescription because I was due a medical review which was delayed due to administrative complications by the GP.

Without the medication I struggled to cope with the symptoms of my mental heath which led to me completing the work way past the deadline.

Before the deadline/resit I had a case decision that I would not be allowed any further attempts as the length of time to complete my degree is 5 years.

At this moment I have also gone past the deadline for an appeal as with last few months I was not in the right mental condition to go through this process.

I need some advice on whether this would be good grounds for an academic appeal to receive a further attempt to resit this module.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi

I failed to complete my final year for 21/22 because I did not submit work for one module on my august resits. I had mitigating circumstances for this august resit due to ongoing mental health condition (anxiety, depression and ADHD). However, during this period I ran out of medication while completing work for my last module, and I was unable to repeat my prescription because I was due a medical review which was delayed due to administrative complications by the GP.

Without the medication I struggled to cope with the symptoms of my mental heath which led to me completing the work way past the deadline.

Before the deadline/resit I had a case decision that I would not be allowed any further attempts as the length of time to complete my degree is 5 years.

At this moment I have also gone past the deadline for an appeal as with last few months I was not in the right mental condition to go through this process.

I need some advice on whether this would be good grounds for an academic appeal to receive a further attempt to resit this module.

From the way I read it, prior to the submission date for the last piece of work, you had already had a hearing that said no further attempts would be allowed. So you couldn't appeal only for a resubmission on the piece you were late handing in on the basis of the missing medication, you would also have to appeal the prior decision that this was the last chance. So I'm afraid it doesn't look as though there is much route forward with this Uni. Perhaps you should speak to the OU about transferring academic credits and seeing if there is a route to completion with them?
Original post by threeportdrift
From the way I read it, prior to the submission date for the last piece of work, you had already had a hearing that said no further attempts would be allowed. So you couldn't appeal only for a resubmission on the piece you were late handing in on the basis of the missing medication, you would also have to appeal the prior decision that this was the last chance. So I'm afraid it doesn't look as though there is much route forward with this Uni. Perhaps you should speak to the OU about transferring academic credits and seeing if there is a route to completion with them?

I was unable to submit the work as the submission area had already closed by the time I completed it. My student support officer emailed me earlier saying that the next stage would be an appeal for me. But I am unsure if the reason I mentioned above would even be considered. The doctor at my GP said he would be able to provide me a supporting letter but I am not sure if that's enough
Original post by Anonymous
I was unable to submit the work as the submission area had already closed by the time I completed it. My student support officer emailed me earlier saying that the next stage would be an appeal for me. But I am unsure if the reason I mentioned above would even be considered. The doctor at my GP said he would be able to provide me a supporting letter but I am not sure if that's enough

Well no-one can be sure if it is enough, that's a matter for the appeal panel to decide. It sounds as though you need to speak to your Student Support Officer/Student Union and see what they say, with greater experience of the appeal process and outcomes at your Uni.
Original post by threeportdrift
Well no-one can be sure if it is enough, that's a matter for the appeal panel to decide. It sounds as though you need to speak to your Student Support Officer/Student Union and see what they say, with greater experience of the appeal process and outcomes at your Uni.

thank you for this advice. I will contact them in the morning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending