The Student Room Group

Unis on A-Level Law

I'm in year 12 right now, and interested in applying to universities for law. I've heard from some people that universities don't have a high regard for A-Level law when applying for law at university. Is this true? I would appreciate any response as I am doing A-Level law :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Hi! I (int'l) finished my A Levels in the Oct/Nov 2022 series with a 3.5-subject combo (Law, Eng Lit, Psych, AS History) and my dad works in the education sector, so that's my "qualification" to answer. A Level Law is perceived by some individual Law lecturers to make students less teachable because first year law is basically the same as A Level Law (contracts, torts, ELS - equity, criminal law etc.) but more complex. But many students don't internalize that. So the impression my dad got when he was working at a college here & corresponding with UK universities in the 2010s is that they find that some students who took A Level Law slack off in first year because they think they know the material intimately, but they actually don't and then end up doing poorly. On the whole, there is generally no institutional stance on preference for A Level Law.

That being said, it is on LSE's list of traditional/preferred academic subjects, and personally, taking A Level Law hasn't been an impediment for me in my uni journey (4 LLB offers inc. KCL so far) so let that be an encouragement to you! As long as you like it and you think you can get to an 18-20+ score on your essays in the real exams, you should stick with it :smile: all the best
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending