The Student Room Group

Can I save myself in third year?

Long story short, I am currently in second year and not achieving the grades I hoped I would. I have had a whole range of personal circumstances which have caused me to fall behind, miss deadlines etc. I was just wondering if there is any hope for me to turn things around and still achieve a 2:1 classification at the end of my degree?

It is looking likely that I will scrape a 2:2 this year 🤦🏼*♀️ my course is weighted at 40% second year and 60% third, which will entail a 10000 word dissertation. Realistically putting the work in, could I still achieve a 2:1 overall, despite ending second year with an average of 51-54%?

At this point, I am just looking for any advice or hope that I can realistically turn things around 😊
Original post by Anonymous
Long story short, I am currently in second year and not achieving the grades I hoped I would. I have had a whole range of personal circumstances which have caused me to fall behind, miss deadlines etc. I was just wondering if there is any hope for me to turn things around and still achieve a 2:1 classification at the end of my degree?

It is looking likely that I will scrape a 2:2 this year 🤦🏼*♀️ my course is weighted at 40% second year and 60% third, which will entail a 10000 word dissertation. Realistically putting the work in, could I still achieve a 2:1 overall, despite ending second year with an average of 51-54%?

At this point, I am just looking for any advice or hope that I can realistically turn things around 😊

From a mathematical standpoint, yes. If your final degree score is weighted 40:60 between second and third year, and if we assumes that your "51-54% " means 52.5% (the midpoint), then you overall degree percentage would be given by:
(52.5 * 0.40) + (X * 0.60)
Where X is the unknown, your third year percentage.

For a 2:1, you need the formula above to result in at least 60. We can therefore simply re-arrange it to establish what X needs to be:
(52.5 * 0.40) + (X * 0.60) = 60
21 + (X * 0.60) = 60
X * 0.60 = 60 - 21 = 39
X = 39 / 0.60 = 65

So if you hit at least 65% in third year, you'll get at least 60% overall - a 2:1.

You refer to "a whole range of personal circumstances which have caused me to fall behind, miss deadlines etc." - are those now behind you? Do you have the motivation and ability to average at least 65% during third year? Those are the real questions you need to be asking yourself.
Original post by Anonymous

Numerically, if you achieve 52 this year you'll need 65.33 in your final year to get a 2.1. Most unis have alternative methods of classifying degrees if students come up just short of 60 (or 70 etc). These methods usually involve improvement in third year, so a little under 65.33 would probably suffice.

Have you had any marks around that level?
Original post by DataVenia
From a mathematical standpoint, yes. If your final degree score is weighted 40:60 between second and third year, and if we assumes that your "51-54% " means 52.5% (the midpoint), then you overall degree percentage would be given by:
(52.5 * 0.40) + (X * 0.60)
Where X is the unknown, your third year percentage.

For a 2:1, you need the formula above to result in at least 60. We can therefore simply re-arrange it to establish what X needs to be:
(52.5 * 0.40) + (X * 0.60) = 60
21 + (X * 0.60) = 60
X * 0.60 = 60 - 21 = 39
X = 39 / 0.60 = 65

So if you hit at least 65% in third year, you'll get at least 60% overall - a 2:1.

You refer to "a whole range of personal circumstances which have caused me to fall behind, miss deadlines etc." - are those now behind you? Do you have the motivation and ability to average at least 65% during third year? Those are the real questions you need to be asking yourself.

Thank you for responding! That has given me some hope that it’s achievable. Those circumstances are still ongoing but I am in a better place and receiving lots of support now luckily. I know it isn’t going to be easy but I’m determined to turn things around.
Original post by ageshallnot
Numerically, if you achieve 52 this year you'll need 65.33 in your final year to get a 2.1. Most unis have alternative methods of classifying degrees if students come up just short of 60 (or 70 etc). These methods usually involve improvement in third year, so a little under 65.33 would probably suffice.

Have you had any marks around that level?

Thank you for responding! I haven’t achieved results that high so far this year but I still have a good few more assessments to complete. I achieved around this in first year, so I am hoping it’s possible to achieve again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending