The Student Room Group

Career Help - URGENT!

In 2020, I completed my business degree and from 2017-2022 worked at a high-end luxury department store as a Sales Associate twice a week, and the rest of the time at home.

During covid, I started to wonder what else was out there and in September 2022, I went back to university to study to be a Theatre Practitioner/Nurse. I quit my job in October 2022 to focus on my studies.

I have began to really miss my old job. Even though I did it 2 days a week, the company offered excellent career progression. Once I get a car I had the intention of moving to our London store and working my way up to Director level - I wanted to spend all my career there.

I am currently on my placement 5 days a week in the hospital and hate it. Some parts of the Operating theatre are tolerable (such as waking up patients and checking they’re ok) but I cannot help but spend most of the day thinking about my old job. My family said the saying is ‘the grass is green on the other side’. Every time I look around the streets and houses everything looks so different without that department store in my life. I’m not the most sociable person, and that place was my life.

All this week I’ve been waking up at 5:30am with anxiety and feeling really sick. I’ve been convinced to complete year 1 and then decide (which seems best considering the financial implications), but what do you guys think? Would it be mad to quit a lucrative career for one I loved
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Cameron19
In 2020, I completed my business degree and from 2017-2022 worked at a high-end luxury department store as a Sales Associate twice a week, and the rest of the time at home.

During covid, I started to wonder what else was out there and in September 2022, I went back to university to study to be a Theatre Practitioner/Nurse. I quit my job in October 2022 to focus on my studies.

I have began to really miss my old job. Even though I did it 2 days a week, the company offered excellent career progression. Once I get a car I had the intention of moving to our London store and working my way up to Director level - I wanted to spend all my career there.

I am currently on my placement 5 days a week in the hospital and hate it. Some parts of the Operating theatre are tolerable (such as waking up patients and checking they’re ok) but I cannot help but spend most of the day thinking about my old job. My family said the saying is ‘the grass is green on the other side’. Every time I look around the streets and houses everything looks so different without that department store in my life. I’m not the most sociable person, and that place was my life.

All this week I’ve been waking up at 5:30am with anxiety and feeling really sick. I’ve been convinced to complete year 1 and then decide (which seems best considering the financial implications), but what do you guys think? Would it be mad to quit a lucrative career.

You write above that, "I started to wonder what else was out there", which suggests that you didn't feel entirely fulfilled by your role as Sales Associate. Is that right? What do you think was missing?

When looking around, you could have landed on any alternate career. What was it about the role as a Theatre Practitioner/Nurse had particular appeal for you?

Did you leave the department store on good terms? If you approached them (after having completed the first year of your current course), do you think they'd re-employ you? Is that something you'd be interested in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending