The Student Room Group

What is a good age to move out?

Obviously this is subjective and depends on your own personal situation but if you are earning let’s say a £25k-£30k salary at 19/20 would that be enough to be able to move out and afford to rent a place of your own (London)? Has anyone or is anyone planning to move out at this age?
(edited 1 year ago)
London is really expensive.

I personally moved out 4 days before my 19th birthday, but a) I was moving into an owned house, not a rental, and b) I didn't live in London.

Have you looked into the cost of rent in London?
Reply 2
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
London is really expensive.

I personally moved out 4 days before my 19th birthday, but a) I was moving into an owned house, not a rental, and b) I didn't live in London.

Have you looked into the cost of rent in London?

I have yes and it’s definitely like gold dust trying to find an affordable place to live. However, I live in the outer boroughs of London so I’m close to Hertfordshire so that’s also something that I can consider
Original post by cpt12_
Obviously this is subjective and depends on your own personal situation but if you are earning let’s say a £25k-£30k salary at 19/20 would that be enough to be able to move out and afford to rent a place of your own (London)? Has anyone or is anyone planning to move out at this age?

When you're ready to move out, financially, personally, then you're ready to move out.

If it's affordable, sure
Hi!

I moved out when I was 19, and I started living independently. Although each case is highly individual, I decided to leave my home country in order to study in the United Kingdom. I have always dreamt about London, but as I did my research I realised it would be hard for a student to manage in London with a part-time job only. I chose a student-friendly city, Leicester, and I do not regret it. I feel like a good piece of advice would be to think about a less expensive city for your first 'independent life' experience. If it has to be London, £30k salary seems reachable. As long as you know how to manage your money reasonably and do not mind renting a room (which is immensely cheaper than renting a whole place), I believe you can live independently in London.

It has been two years since I moved out so if you have any questions, I am more than happy to help and share my experience :h:

Take care,

Julia
It is more a question of individual ambitions, finances, lifestyle preferences and other personal circumstances rather than a specific age.

Assuming that there are no special circumstances.
Such as carer responsibilities, serious health needs or being trapped in an abusive household/relationship, it is usually best to save up towards a deposit or 6-12months upfront rental costs.
Whether for a room in a rented houseshare or to get on the property ladder with a 1-2 bedroom property outside of the uk's most expensive cities.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending