The Student Room Group

Should I move schools for Year 11?

Is it worth moving?

I currently go to a grammar school and I'd be moving to a comprehensive school with significantly lower results and all, but I haven't been very happy at school because I go to an all-girls school and it's quite dramatic and toxic with the students here, while I do love most of my teachers.

I have friends at the comprehensive school and it's mixed, and I know most of the people who go there from primary school. I came to my grammar school on my own and I just don't fit in, and it's led to mental health problems involving selfharm and an eating disorder, which the school are trying to help me with a bit too.

Academically, I'm one of the best in my year group and I'm not sure whether going to a non-grammar school may affect my chances at Oxford or MIT even, because I want to apply there too. Moving would mean I'd no longer be doing GCSE Further Maths and couldn't do GCSE French, though I'm confident I could still self-study French and get a 9. However, I would have to start GCSE RS too, though I've heard it's easy and wouldn't be difficult for a student of my ability.

I mainly just don't want me moving to a non-grammar school to affect my chances for MIT or Oxford. Any input on this?
The problem with moving to another school is that they most likely will do different specifications to the GCSEs you are doing at your current school and you may not also be able to do all your current options due to timetabling. It is for you to decide but I would think this would potentially be quite a big issue, and there is no guarantee that the comprehensive school has places available.
also on the note of fitting in, I am autistic which has caused me mental health issues and regardless of whether I moved schools or not I would not fit in because people can immediately see I am different
Original post by flowersinmyhair
The problem with moving to another school is that they most likely will do different specifications to the GCSEs you are doing at your current school and you may not also be able to do all your current options due to timetabling. It is for you to decide but I would think this would potentially be quite a big issue, and there is no guarantee that the comprehensive school has places available.

Ah yeah, I checked on the school website about GCSE options and it seems currently I'd be able to do all my options, and I spoke to my mum and she told me her colleague has a son going to the school currently but is about to move schools so she said his place would be available to me if I did move aswell.

Original post by flowersinmyhair
also on the note of fitting in, I am autistic which has caused me mental health issues and regardless of whether I moved schools or not I would not fit in because people can immediately see I am different

Oh I understand, I started developing mental health issues because of bullying starting in my school in the past year, though I don't think I have social issues, it's just people being cruel once changing, and it's caused rumours to be spread about me and makes me very insecure about what people think of me and I can't really fit in anymore because those old friends were my closest friends but things got ruined quickly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending