The Student Room Group

What A levels did you pick + where are you going?

Hey guys,

Just wanted to see if there is anyone going to any similar 6th forms as me. I’ve personally applied to:

Fortismere
Woodhouse
Harris

I want to (on results day) apply to the following:

Henrietta Barnett
Westminster City

I also want to do the following a levels:
- I wanted to do bio however without chem, it appears to be useless -

Maths
Econ
Comp sci
Eng lit
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by eshxr
Hey guys,

Just wanted to see if there is anyone going to any similar 6th forms as me. I’ve personally applied to:

Fortismere
Woodhouse
Harris

Henrietta Barnett
Westminster City

Maths
Econ
Comp sci
Eng lit

Not going to any of the 6th forms, but I am doing 2 sciences and 2 maths (done one already).

Biology alone can open some doors in life sciences, but it won't be as open as bio+ chem. It really depends on what you specifically want to do for your degree and what career you want.

Maths
Econ
Comp sci
Eng lit
I thought I might interject. Why these A Levels? They seem like a mixed bag. One is a semi-required subject, 2 aren't, but one definitely is for a number of degrees. Eng Lit also seem to be very different to the other subjects i.e. they don't exactly complement each other.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
Not going to any of the 6th forms, but I am doing 2 sciences and 2 maths (done one already).

Biology alone can open some doors in life sciences, but it won't be as open as bio+ chem. It really depends on what you specifically want to do for your degree and what career you want.

Maths
Econ
Comp sci
Eng lit
I thought I might interject. Why these A Levels? They seem like a mixed bag. One is a semi-required subject, 2 aren't, but one definitely is for a number of degrees. Eng Lit also seem to be very different to the other subjects i.e. they don't exactly complement each other.

Thanks for your input on the A levels, and it’s actually just because I’m really unsure of what to do. I was Headset on a Medicine/Dentistry route so was sure I’d do bio, chem and maths however now I don’t want to do chem at all. Eng lit is just because I’m really good at it, despite no interest in it, it’s a good facilitating subject hence why it’s only my 4th so if I want to drop it I will. Maths just keeps a finance open for me and comp sci is something I like. Also what do you mean you’ve done one of 2 maths already?
Original post by eshxr
Thanks for your input on the A levels, and it’s actually just because I’m really unsure of what to do. I was Headset on a Medicine/Dentistry route so was sure I’d do bio, chem and maths however now I don’t want to do chem at all. Eng lit is just because I’m really good at it, despite no interest in it, it’s a good facilitating subject hence why it’s only my 4th so if I want to drop it I will. Maths just keeps a finance open for me and comp sci is something I like. Also what do you mean you’ve done one of 2 maths already?

Thought that it might be the case. I am not trying to be a keyboard hero, but I do get annoyed when people think they need economics or computer science at A Level to do them at degree level.

It also annoys me a little that people still think they need a degree in finance to get into finance. You don't. You need the appropriate professional finance qualification for the specific role that you want to do; almost all of the qualifications won't require you to have a specific degree - most ask for no prior qualifications and are barely a stretch above A Level difficulty. Those that ask for specific degrees tend to be in quants or actuary, and they tend to ask for quantiative subjects (not finance). Finance degrees are usually good if you want to do academic research in finance.

The key A Level for computer science and economics is just Maths. If the university wants to be picky, they might ask for AS further maths. You won't need either computer science or economics to get into either subjects.

Computer science degree is great if you want to go into academic research in an IT related area. You won't need it if you want to go into tech. It might be borderline relevant if you want to go into quant, but it's easier if you just do a relevant professional qualification.
English Lit is only a required subject for English Lit degrees, and not all of them require it. It's fine if you only want to do it for the grade though.

what do you mean you’ve done one of 2 maths already?
Completed A Level Maths. Working on Further Maths.
Reply 4
Original post by MindMax2000
Thought that it might be the case. I am not trying to be a keyboard hero, but I do get annoyed when people think they need economics or computer science at A Level to do them at degree level.

It also annoys me a little that people still think they need a degree in finance to get into finance. You don't. You need the appropriate professional finance qualification for the specific role that you want to do; almost all of the qualifications won't require you to have a specific degree - most ask for no prior qualifications and are barely a stretch above A Level difficulty. Those that ask for specific degrees tend to be in quants or actuary, and they tend to ask for quantiative subjects (not finance). Finance degrees are usually good if you want to do academic research in finance.

The key A Level for computer science and economics is just Maths. If the university wants to be picky, they might ask for AS further maths. You won't need either computer science or economics to get into either subjects.

Computer science degree is great if you want to go into academic research in an IT related area. You won't need it if you want to go into tech. It might be borderline relevant if you want to go into quant, but it's easier if you just do a relevant professional qualification.
English Lit is only a required subject for English Lit degrees, and not all of them require it. It's fine if you only want to do it for the grade though.

what do you mean you’ve done one of 2 maths already?
Completed A Level Maths. Working on Further Maths.

thanks for the help, and yeah my teachers have already told me that I won’t need Econ or comp sci to go into any of them, hence why regardless of the subject combos I pick, I definitely want to keep maths.
Reply 5
Original post by eshxr
Hey guys,

Fortismere
Woodhouse
Harris

Henrietta Barnett
Westminster City

Maths
Econ
Comp sci
Eng lit

Ah I also got into Harris and Woodhouse! We chose some of the same subjects too, as I'm also planning to do Maths , English Literature and Economics! The other one I chose was History. Sorry for the late reply ^^
Reply 6
Original post by Basily
Ah I also got into Harris and Woodhouse! We chose some of the same subjects too, as I'm also planning to do Maths , English Literature and Economics! The other one I chose was History. Sorry for the late reply ^^

Hey!

No worries Ab the late rep. Have you decided which one you want to go to? Also which Harris, there’s loadsss. I’m assuming Harris westminister?

Also, how comes you chose those subjects? Just curious btw
Reply 7
Yeah I meant Harris Westminster, sorry I was unclear! I think I'm probably going to end up choosing there as it's slightly easier to get to than Woodhouse for me.

I chose those subjects as it's what I'm interested in, I guess? I couldn't decide for the longest time between stem subjects and humanities but triple physics ended up deciding for me (because I hate it sjfjsj). So I just picked subjects I enjoyed and then one I've never tried before (economics). Wbu?
Reply 8
hey! THIS is my new acc lmao I forgot the logins to the other acc.

and same, woodhouse is about a 50min commute for me, although idm, I’d much rather somewhere closer.

regarding my subjects, I do triple sci too but I’m still unsure if I wanna do any a level sci. I picked maths bc I’ve always like it. Econ bc ive Never DONE it, comp sci bc i liked it but never chose it at gcse, and eng lit only because I’m really good at it. Really considering a level physics though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending