The Student Room Group

UNIQ vs Sutton Trust

At a bit of a crossroads here.

Applied for both UNIQ (Chemistry) and Sutton Trust at the Uni of Edinburgh (Computer Science) and got accepted to both but the dates clash so I won’t be able to do both, I need to pick one or the other.

I really want to study Computer Science at uni so I’d want to go with the UoE summer school to write about in my PS, but at the same time I heard attending UNIQ is really good if you’re thinking about applying to oxford, which I also definitely will be doing, however I don’t have much interest for studying Chemistry at uni.

So, which is better: going to UNIQ for the university or going to the Sutton Trust program for the course?

All your responses are much appreciated! Thanks!
Why on earth would doing UNIQ for Chemistry help your application for Computer Science at Oxford?

Oxford and Cambridge are primarily interested in your academic credentials and interests in the subject you have applied for- UNIQ will not really further your case or strengthen your application whereas the University of Edinburgh course most definitely will as it shows a genuine interest in the subject and hopefully you can pick some things to talk about in your application/interview there.

Based on what you have written- I think UoE Computer Science is a) your best option b) the option you actually want to go through with deep down regardless.

Trying to 'play the system' for Oxbridge by doing internships/A Levels you think they value more really isn't worth it or true. I did two legal internships and it was never once brought up in my interview for Cambridge- but they were happy to grill me on the legal books I had read, opinions I had stated in the personal statement and other abstract thought experiments.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Kilam_Namoan
Why on earth would doing UNIQ for Chemistry help your application for Computer Science at Oxford?

Oxford and Cambridge are primarily interested in your academic credentials and interests in the subject you have applied for- UNIQ will not really further your case or strengthen your application whereas the University of Edinburgh course most definitely will as it shows a genuine interest in the subject and hopefully you can pick some things to talk about in your application/interview there.

Based on what you have written- I think UoE Computer Science is a) your best option b) the option you actually want to go through with deep down regardless.

Trying to 'play the system' for Oxbridge by doing internships/A Levels you think they value more really isn't worth it or true. I did two legal internships and it was never once brought up in my interview for Cambridge- but they were happy to grill me on the legal books I had read, opinions I had stated in the personal statement and other abstract thought experiments.

You’re right, I guess I got a bit wooed by the chance of staying at Oxford for a little while, I really regret not doing Computer Science at UNIQ as well, but it’s done now.

Thanks for this reality check 🥲

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending