The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan

Hi we’re really confused and can do with some help. We’re trying to fill in the form to apply for student maintenance loan for our son Matt. We had to fill in a form for tax year 2021/2022, we both earned a lot more at that time, since then I have retired from nursing and my husband has semi retired, we are therefore filling a form in now which projects our income for 2023/2024 so we can get a higher maintenance loan as the minimum would not be enough for us to manage. it’s only asking for taxable pension lump sum which I did not have ( I don’t pay tax on my pension as it’s under my tax allowance) that then seems to makes our joint income under £24,000 ( which is not correct as I get just over £12000 a year pension) and says we can’t apply for assessment for maintenance grant! which we need. We just wondered if anyone can help us with this? We are confused and a little worried. Thank you in advance
Thread moved to student finance forum to help you get a reply.
Original post by Jennie Dollman
Hi we’re really confused and can do with some help. We’re trying to fill in the form to apply for student maintenance loan for our son Matt. We had to fill in a form for tax year 2021/2022, we both earned a lot more at that time, since then I have retired from nursing and my husband has semi retired, we are therefore filling a form in now which projects our income for 2023/2024 so we can get a higher maintenance loan as the minimum would not be enough for us to manage. it’s only asking for taxable pension lump sum which I did not have ( I don’t pay tax on my pension as it’s under my tax allowance) that then seems to makes our joint income under £24,000 ( which is not correct as I get just over £12000 a year pension) and says we can’t apply for assessment for maintenance grant! which we need. We just wondered if anyone can help us with this? We are confused and a little worried. Thank you in advance

Hi there,

You wouldn't include the pension in that section if it is not taxable. You should complete the form to the best of your knowledge, and you can upload a cover letter for any details you are unsure about.

https://logon.slc.co.uk/cas/login

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending