The Student Room Group

Question about IPLDP for Met Police

Currently finishing up my undergraduate degree and looking into a PC career with the Met. I'm well aware of the DHEP entry route and obviously that would be geared more towards someone in my position but I've seen so many things about the PCDA and DHEP routes being difficult on new officers, lack of organisation and extra stress, and to be quite frank, I'd rather not have to deal with more essays because I'm fed up with them now after three years!

The IPLDP route is definitely something I would prefer and by the sounds of it a lot of current officers and current PCDA/DHEP recruits would too, but I'm not 100% sure whether I can apply for it considering I already have a degree, they say "non-degree holders" but it's not mentioned in the eligibility requirements. Anyone have any experience of getting onto the scheme with a degree or know of anyone?

Cheers in advance...
Original post by L.D.L.B
Currently finishing up my undergraduate degree and looking into a PC career with the Met. I'm well aware of the DHEP entry route and obviously that would be geared more towards someone in my position but I've seen so many things about the PCDA and DHEP routes being difficult on new officers, lack of organisation and extra stress, and to be quite frank, I'd rather not have to deal with more essays because I'm fed up with them now after three years!

The IPLDP route is definitely something I would prefer and by the sounds of it a lot of current officers and current PCDA/DHEP recruits would too, but I'm not 100% sure whether I can apply for it considering I already have a degree, they say "non-degree holders" but it's not mentioned in the eligibility requirements. Anyone have any experience of getting onto the scheme with a degree or know of anyone?

Cheers in advance...

I did the IPLDP because at the time the DHEP and PCDA didn't exist as such.

As a graduate, I doubt you'll get much choice - they might tell you that only the DHEP is open to you, but you could be a nuisance and keep asking to be on IPLDP. Recruitment numbers are pretty bad so they might just give you what you want.

In terms of difficulty, if you are a grad, there will be nothing challenging whatsoever in the DHEP - what people find difficult is having to go back to uni all the time when they are already operation borough officers and have cases and crimes on their files to deal with. On IPLDP, once you're done, you're done.

You could also try PN, but not all forces always participate and I personally don't think it's the best scheme, it can leave thrown in at the deep end with v little training. Also, the way it used to be, PN officers could only go to neighbourhoods policing, which is a different kind of thing and doesn't suit everyone.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
There are a lack of options as recruitment type varies in different forces, I have applied with Humberside Police through IPLDP, despite in last year of my degree, as this is the only recruitment they are doing, not doing a degree holder scheme. I have specifically checked it out with them, confirmed I could/should apply. The only scheme South Yorks Police are doing are degree holder ones, so have applied to that also. Was told by Humberside there were no implications for future progression, with the IPLDP compared to degree holder, primarily down to individual performance & ambitions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending