The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh or St Andrews uni for Mathematics and Economics

Im leaning more towards edinburgh just because the city is a bit more lively but for the courses and teaching and career prospects after what university is better for these subjects
I would say Edinburgh's Mathematics program is better and more highly rated internationally with Edinburgh ranked 36th in the world, and St. Andrews not even in the Top 200. As for Economics, it is a bit closer with Edinburgh 69th and St. Andrews around 150. Both very prestigious places to study, and I should note I might be a little biased towards Edinburgh as I applied there for Maths this year and it's one of my top choices.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by 'Thematics
I would say Edinburgh's Mathematics program is better and more highly rated internationally with Edinburgh ranked 36th in the world, and St. Andrews not even in the Top 200. As for Economics, it is a bit closer with Edinburgh 69th and St. Andrews around 150. Both very prestigious places to study, and I should note I might be a little biased towards Edinburgh as I applied there for Maths this year and it's one of my top choices.

But ive also heard alot of things about poor teaching and lecturers in edinburgh. and in terms of employability what uni is ranked higher with employers
I've not heard of anything about poor teaching at either university. As for the employer reputation rankings, Edinburgh is 24th internationally while St. Andrews is at 106th. The difference is definitely not as large as the rankings suggest, however, I would still say Edinburgh is better in that department.
I've not heard of anything about poor teaching at either university. As for the employer reputation rankings, Edinburgh is 24th internationally while St. Andrews is at 106th. The difference is definitely not as large as the rankings suggest, however, I would still say Edinburgh is better in that department.

ahh okay, maybe i was thinking about a different uni, what do you think about glasgow uni for our course? thanks for the help overall tho

You will find similar stats for almost all courses at St Andrews in international league tables, which seem to be biased again smaller unis, with smaller research outputs and a smaller selection of subjects. I would not base a university decision on them, especially at undergraduate level.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Uni_student3132
You will find similar stats for almost all courses at St Andrews in international league tables, which seem to be biased again smaller unis, with smaller research outputs and a smaller selection of subjects. I would not base a university decision on them, especially at undergraduate level.

I agree, one definitely shouldn't make a decision solely on the rankings, I was just listing it as one of the reasons. Still, the rankings tend to be a generally good measure of the size and employer reputation of a university, but not necessarily teaching quality which is why I didn't mention that. Perceived teaching quality is also something totally subjective in my opinion and very hard to get an idea of.
International rankings are questionable, go by general rep. Its clear that both schools are the joint top 2 in Scotland and so your decision should be based on which school you see yourself studying in. There is just no way I see either school's reputation ever making a difference on whether or not you get hired at any firm, they are equals.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending