The Student Room Group

I always thought I wanted to do a law degree but now I'm not sure

Hi, I’m a year 12 student studying English lit, politics and history at a level
for a while, I thought I was interested in getting a law degree; however, it's become increasingly apparent to me that I also feel myself wanting to do an English literature degree.
It's not that I dislike law, I am interested in it and I've been reading up all that I can about it, but it's nothing compared to my love for English literature which is something I've had all my life.

I do like law, I'm just really passionate about literature.
one of my biggest fears at the moment concerning University and degrees is making the wrong choice.
When I think about how I’d write up a personal statement for law, a lot of it seems extremely forced. Whereas when I think about what I’d write in a personal statement for English literature, conveying my love for it to a university feels too easy.

But of course, there's the job aspect. As someone who comes from a low-income household, having a stable income and a well-known job is extremely important to me, especially since I’ve witnessed the struggle of not having one myself in my own home. A law degree, whether I actually go into law or not, would guarantee me a wide range of jobs all with good salaries.
Something that wouldn't really be guaranteed if I got a degree in English literature

I'm just really stuck and would love some advice from somebody who's been there and understands
You could always study an English degree and do a law conversion course when you’ve finished your degree if you still think a career in law would be best :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Squiggles1238
You could always study an English degree and do a law conversion course when you’ve finished your degree if you still think a career in law would be best :smile:

i’m worried that doing a GDL is just going to be more debt when i’m not going to be earning as much
it’d be a while before i make a good amount of money in law
Original post by 17orourkel
i’m worried that doing a GDL is just going to be more debt when i’m not going to be earning as much
it’d be a while before i make a good amount of money in law

The loan repayments only apply to money over a certain threshold which is usually between 22 and 27k and the deduction is 9% so its not too much to worry about, plus after a certain amount of time it is completely voided if you dont pay it off

Quick Reply

Latest