The Student Room Group

English language writing

How do I get a grade 6 in English Language AQA I am stuck on a grade 4 and need a 6. My issue with English Language is that sometimes I won’t be able to understand the sources, pick out key and relevant information, and writing good point. I can’t think outside the box like when I open that paper up I just stare at it and think of what to write. I have no good ideas and can’t think of really good point to write for example if I find a word that is good I’m like so what does this mean what further meaning does this have and I won’t be able to think of anything and then I will look at the mark scheme and think oh yeah I could have written that but I didn’t. It’s hard to explain but this is my main weakness. How do I think outside the box. Some people they can pick out one word form the extract and write so many point just about that one word and achieve full marks. How do I become good at English language?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
I try and think of it as the author. Every author chooses a certain word for a reason; think about WHY it was used. When you look at the word, what does it convey? Is it positive? Negative? How is it used within the text? What literary techniques are used, and what could this mean? What do you think was the author's intention behind the text? How can you prove this through the text?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending