The Student Room Group

Leeds university or Lancaster university??

I can't decide between these two universities, I have been to both and liked them equally. I am studying Chem Eng. Leeds has better nightlife and social scene, but slightly less ranking but Lancaster has a better ranking but a worst social scene...
I really don't know what to choose - any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
(edited 1 year ago)
Leeds over Lancaster for overall prestige.

Leeds is a Top 20 university. I would personally put it in the 13th to 16th range.

Lancaster is a Top 30 university. I would personally put it in the 21st to 25th range.
Original post by s_ve
I can't decide between these two universities, I have been to both and liked them equally. I am studying Chem Eng. Leeds has better nightlife and social scene, but slightly less ranking but Lancaster has a better ranking but a worst social scene...
I really don't know what to choose - any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

The rankings are of little value. They fluctuate regularly and vary between sources. Both are solid universities so go wherever you'd prefer.
Original post by s_ve

Hi !

Im a second year Chemical Engineering student at Lancaster University .When I was making a decision ,the ranking for chemical engineering was important for me .However ,uni should also be a place where you will be comfortable and will enjoy spending your time at .If you have visited ,you would know that Lancaster Uni has a really beautiful campus ,one of the main reasons why I chose this uni in the first place .It has really modern engineering equipment as well as a nice environment that I could see myself enjoying my time at uni .I do understand that the social scene might not compare to Leeds as Lancaster is more town based ,but there are quite a few clubs ,bars and social spots that are much more student friendly and generally I wouldnt put it down as the worst either . Lancaster specifically helps with the balance of student life as well as social life ,where you can concentrate on your degree because the campus provides that sort of environment ( the library is amazing btw ) and you wont feel left out of the social ring as there will be plenty of night outs as well as society socials .Hopefully this helps !

Yamini
Lancaster Uni FST Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest