The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

MEng Engineering and Architectural Design Employability

Hello, I'm currently an offer holder for Engineering and Architectural Design at UCL. I was wondering, other than in the built environment - if any - what are the professions can you go into by studying this degree?

Is it possible to pursue a career in the automotive industry if you obtain this degree?

Also, between MEng Engineering and Architectural Design and MEng Mechanical Engineering (both at UCL), which is better?
Original post by shariq.khan___
Hello, I'm currently an offer holder for Engineering and Architectural Design at UCL. I was wondering, other than in the built environment - if any - what are the professions can you go into by studying this degree?

Is it possible to pursue a career in the automotive industry if you obtain this degree?

Also, between MEng Engineering and Architectural Design and MEng Mechanical Engineering (both at UCL), which is better?

Lead Engineer here, working in manufacturing for electromechanical systems, who occasionally hires interns and graduate engineers.

I've looked at the course modules and it seems there is going to be a lot of overlap with general mechanical principles, so I wouldn't necessarily think it's impossible to work in any other engineering discipline rather than civil engineering because to be fair the same mechanical principles apply to any system whether it's a building, a bridge, a car or a robot arm; the only downside to the course (from engineer perspective) is that it's not entirely an engineering course, it's mix of engineering and architecture, so it may be a little harder to get into say automotive industry because you'll be competing against students with automotive eng. and mechanical eng. degrees. That said, performing really well on the interviews increases your chances on getting a job much more than what your degree may limit you to, so overall if you feel like building and architecture is what you enjoy then definitely go for it. In that case I'd also consider doing Civil Engineering degree.
There are plenty of large companies hiring for civil engineering internships and graduate jobs every year. See here for example - https://www.gradcracker.com/search/civil-building/engineering-graduate-jobs
There will be even more job openings listed if you check this website in September-October, as that's when the first hiring wave starts yearly.

Now, asking which degree is better is not the right question to ask, because both courses are useful and applicable to people with career goals relevant to the courses they take.
I'd say Mechanical Engineering will open more doors for you, including civil engineering if you're into this, as well as all the other industries where a mechanical engineering professional is needed, so from the career opportunities perspective I'd go for general mechanical engineering. That course is also good if you are still unsure what sort of engineering career you want to take after you graduate, but if you have it already set in stone that you want to do civil engineering then doing that Eng & Architecture course may set you one step ahead of the competition.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by ThatguyAl
Lead Engineer here, working in manufacturing for electromechanical systems, who occasionally hires interns and graduate engineers.

I've looked at the course modules and it seems there is going to be a lot of overlap with general mechanical principles, so I wouldn't necessarily think it's impossible to work in any other engineering discipline rather than civil engineering because to be fair the same mechanical principles apply to any system whether it's a building, a bridge, a car or a robot arm; the only downside to the course (from engineer perspective) is that it's not entirely an engineering course, it's mix of engineering and architecture, so it may be a little harder to get into say automotive industry because you'll be competing against students with automotive eng. and mechanical eng. degrees. That said, performing really well on the interviews increases your chances on getting a job much more than what your degree may limit you to, so overall if you feel like building and architecture is what you enjoy then definitely go for it. In that case I'd also consider doing Civil Engineering degree.
There are plenty of large companies hiring for civil engineering internships and graduate jobs every year. See here for example - https://www.gradcracker.com/search/civil-building/engineering-graduate-jobs
There will be even more job openings listed if you check this website in September-October, as that's when the first hiring wave starts yearly.

Now, asking which degree is better is not the right question to ask, because both courses are useful and applicable to people with career goals relevant to the courses they take.
I'd say Mechanical Engineering will open more doors for you, including civil engineering if you're into this, as well as all the other industries where a mechanical engineering professional is needed, so from the career opportunities perspective I'd go for general mechanical engineering. That course is also good if you are still unsure what sort of engineering career you want to take after you graduate, but if you have it already set in stone that you want to do civil engineering then doing that Eng & Architecture course may set you one step ahead of the competition.

Hey! I have a q for you about a similar course at UCL, i sent a dm :smile:
Original post by ThatguyAl

Thank you so much, I think I will end up doing the Mech Eng course. I don't really have a 'dream career' and what i want to do changes so frequently that I think I will opt for the more versatile Mech Eng. Thank you for the link and your time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending